Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing >

Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Notices

Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Old 01-13-2002, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checkmate. How much pressure in psi and how much vacuum did you pull in inches of mercury. Thanks Tom
Old 01-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Formula31... are the shifter seal servicable through the rear cover or do I need to disassemble the upper gear case?

Anyone know the proper pressure/vacuum to use for testing outdrive seals... anyone?

BT
Old 01-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Registered

Ive never done it by itself, but I dont see why it couldnt be changed just through the back cover. How did the back cover o-ring look? Ive had those leak before. Theres only those 3 bolts holding the whole thing. Make sure the groove is good and clean and the cover is flat. If you need the instructions on getting the shifter stuff apart and back together, I could scan them and email them to you next week when I get home.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I have the same leak in the same area. Around the shift cable hook up. Same milky green oil when I removed the drive this fall. I have not yet drained the drive. Is it a tough job to replace this seal???
Old 01-14-2002, 06:10 PM
Registered

Formula31... I haven't taken the back plate off yet, but would be suprised if that was the water leaker. I believe that is probably the propshaft seal like you mentioned earlier. I'll check the seal closely none the less and let you know if I need more help on replacing the shifter seal.

Thanks,

BT
Old 01-14-2002, 06:25 PM
Registered

HI Mike, no replacing the shift shaft seal is easy, but (theres always a but) the seal might have gone bad becasue the shaft or bushings are worn making the shaf move around too much. Need to check that carefully. There not too hard to change. Tom
Old 01-15-2002, 05:25 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I bought the drive from Kaama with only about 20 hours on it (the skeg didn't and still doesn't have a scratch!!). Since then I';ve put about 80 hours on it. Think it could be worn already??
Old 01-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Registered

Not likely. Check to make sure the 3 bolts holding the back cover on are tight and check the back cover o-ring. My latest drives have over 400 hrs and the seal and bushing are fine. The o-rings were not. I shouldnt really call them o-rings but they are round and seal the back cover.
Old 01-16-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered

Formula 31... I looked on the BAM site for the exploded views of the shifter and couldn't decifer the seal that you are talking about. I'll have to take it apart and see. I have so much stuff apart now I can't hardly move, so after I get some of that back together I'll get back into the drive. Please stayed tuned. I'm sure I'll be needing more help.

BT (aka Dave)
Old 01-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Registered

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ND+DRIVE+GEARS

Its item 10. My book has a much better picture

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.