Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing >

Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Notices

Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Old 01-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Is it normal for gear lube to come out from around where the cable enters the upper gear housing? I am getting crappy looking light green oil coming out at that location with the drive removed and still full of oil. I'm draining it down now and the lube that came out the normal drain hole initially looked normal, than started looking somewhat emulsified like the oil coming out the shift cable area. I think I must have a bad seal, or maybe just condesation. How does one check for bad seals in an outdrive. There has never been any indication when the boat is in the water of oil leaking out. I have changed this lube several times since July and never liked the look of the oil. On every other outdrive I've owned the old gear oil always came out looking pretty much like when I put it in. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

BT
Old 01-13-2002, 01:34 PM
32' SUNSATION
Platinum Member

sounds Like a seal... The good news is. You found it Before blowing the drive. When testing they do a pressure, as well as a vacuum test. Good luck
Old 01-13-2002, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also had a quarter inch of funny looking oil in the bottom of my reservour bottle this fall. Drive oil looked Ok. Question, It almost has to be the propshaft seals right? If the covers and screws are all tight and sealed, water cant get in through the drive shaft area if the bellows is ok, and the shift cable area is also dry too if the bellows is OK, right? I hate changing propshaft seals but all the other possible areas of entry checked out ok. Anybody know if there is a kit/tool to do vacuum and pressure checks on a bravo 1?
Old 01-13-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

That always happens when you pull the drive.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:29 PM
Registered

What's that Badcat... oil comes out the shift cable area every time the drive is removed? Curious to see the answers to formula31's questions.

BT
Old 01-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Registered

A little oil always comes out the reservoir check valve if you have a 91 and up drive. But not from the shift cable.
Old 01-13-2002, 05:02 PM
Registered

Mines a 1988 bravo one. I don't have the remote reservoir or valve assemble. The oil comes out around what is actually the cable clamp/shifter link. There is an o ring that seals this opening from sea water and it looks good.

BT
Old 01-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Registered

Anyone able to tell me how to pressure test this outdrive, or how to find a bad seal?

BT
Old 01-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Registered

Same year as mine. Remove the rear cover. The O-ring must have failed between the gear section and the shift linkage, or the shifter shaft lower seal could have failed. If so, make sure to check the shaft and bushings. Look at the pictures in mercruiserparts.com if you dont have a manual. Youll see what I mean. But, thats not where the water came from unless the rear cover o-ring is so bad it let it in there. If so, be happy. Thats the easiest to fix.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:59 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Bt;

No oil is supposed to leak from the drive when it is removed, except for a little drop or 2 from where the gear lube monitor check ball is. In your case, you don't have that so it should be 100% dry.
I rigged up my car radiator pressurizer to do a pressure check. Then I rigged up a vacuum pump to do a vacuum test. To run a pressure check, it is easier to do when the drive is full of oil. For vacuum test the drive must be empty. You must do both tests to be sure the drive will hold oil in and also to hold water out.

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 removal and pressure testing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.