Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive. >

Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.

Notices

Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:00 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.

About a month ago I was going along at about 50mph, 3500rpms when my outdrive just about fell off. The gimbal blew to pieces. Joey Griffen replaced with brand new. One month later, less than 10 hrs. later, xr drive breaks to pieces. Again, just cruisin. I don't run hard at all. I do not air the boat out. I really baby the boat and I can't figure why all the problems. The boat has about 200hrs. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mat
Old 10-13-2003, 08:55 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I THINK YOU BETTER LEARN TO DO MAINTENANCE MORE OFTEN YOURSELF.THIS KIND OF PROBLEM IS YOUR OWN FAULT.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More info. please!? Was first failier gimble - ring? - housing? - bearing?. What all was replaced? Could the first problem have created a situation that was overlooked on that repair that led to the second problem? Exactly what do you mean when you say, "xr drive brakes to pieces" ?? It would appear that you have an OUTERLIMITS. Why would you own a great boat like that just to "really baby it"?? --- Jer
Old 10-13-2003, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Pictures and descriptions, please.
If the gimbal did actually "blow into pieces" then you very well could have injured the drive and setup the later failure.

Forgive Taz, he just wants to sell you a Bmax.
You may indeed be lacking on your maintenance, but maybe not. Let's get some more info and see what we can come up with.

If you're running big motors in a big vee, though, Bmax may be a consideration...
Old 10-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Thanks for the help. I am running 575's and got the boat this July. It sat in Joey Griffins yard for 3 weeks. I have had the lower unit oil changed three times in 30hrs. I don't think it is from lack of Maint. I will post description of what broke in drive as soon as I get it. The gimbol u-joint is what gave out.
Attached Thumbnails Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.-drive04excursion.cliffhair-002.jpg  
Old 10-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

another
Attached Thumbnails Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.-drive04excursion.cliffhair-001.jpg  
Old 10-14-2003, 03:23 PM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Taz,
I got the boat from the factory July 4th. They were to have all drives and engines inspected and tested. They also told me that they replaced both gimbols. I even bought Imco vertical shafts for them to install while they had the drives apart but OL told me it was not necessary. I have had five sets of bravos and never broke one.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Yeah, the picture shows the result of a U-joint popping out of the yoke. Bad deal, but not related to overpowering - more of a situation where somebody didn't get the keeper clip seated properly and it worked its way out.

Now we need more info on the latest failure.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:13 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DON'T THINK I'M TRYING TO SELL YOU B-MAX'S. IM NOT. U-JOINT FAILURE CAN HAPPEN AT ANY TIME WITH HEAVY BOATS AND TORQUE. YOUR BOAT FITS THIS CONDITION. WITH XR DRIVES YOU HAVE THE LARGER U-JOINT ASS'Y.I HAVE SEEM U-JOINTS GO,AND IT'S NOT CHEAP TO FIX. I HAVE BROKEN A U-JOINT BY TRIMMING TO HIGH IN SHALLOW WATER. IT KILLS THE JOINTS.GOOD LUCK RON

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 10-16-2003 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can loose a u-joint by overtrimming while running, I know, I've done it with a Bravo. I'm sure your boat has the trim limiters removed so make sure you've marked your indicators where max trim is for your drives.

Quick Reply: Help, broken gimbal, now blown drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.