Rebuilding  Velvet Drive's >

Rebuilding Velvet Drive's

Notices

Rebuilding Velvet Drive's

Old 10-14-2003, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Velvet Drive's

I want to have my Velvet Drive's rebuilt while I have them out, and in preparation for the 540's I'm building.

First, the tag on them says they are Model 10-17-016. I have seen reference to model's 71 and 72. Are my Velvet Drive's one of those?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on who to send them to for rebuilding? I also need the torque capacity upgraded via additional clutches, etc. Huber and BAM are mentioned alot. I can't help but think that my local high-performance racing tranny shop couldn't do them job, or maybe even myself due to their simplicity. I'd just need to find a good service manual, like ATSG for cars.

Also, what would it cost on average to rebuild/upgrade them for ~800-900 ft lbs?
Old 10-15-2003, 12:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a simple job, any trans shop can do it. Some forklifts even have velvet drives in them... just an Idea... We had a 'race car' guy build ours. They build transmissions that take and enormous load of torque, but only for a few seconds, however boats forgo that torque for long periods of time. Yet, the torque curve going into the trans of a boat is a lot more gradual than a 3800 stall speed in a race car dropping all the torque at once. I still think race car guys are the ones to build the trans. they rebuild a lot of abused transmissions and have the most experience.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call BAM,mark has been doing these for a long time and does an excellant job
Old 10-15-2003, 09:21 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 990 Likes on 502 Posts

I had BAM redo a trans on my old scarab.....i cant remember prices and specs but it held my mildy moded 454's with ease for 4 years! I dont know if he had a trans ready to go and just swaped it as soon as mine arrived or if he's that quick to rebuild but it was all the same week! Shipped out Monday and i was back on the water the next weekend! I did call ahead and tell him i was sending him the trans so maybe he started on it before hand. But Marc is a good guy........i've also head a lot of good stuff about Huber guys as well but never had a chance to use them.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Registered

That # indicates that you have the elusive 71-C version. I"ve been looking for a rebuildable one of those for a year now. They are a bit lighter and smaller than the 72-C and not meant for as much HP but Tom Huber of Huber Marine can build them to handle over 900 HP, which should be good enough for most of us. He,s on line at www.hubermarine.com or you can call him at 615-794-7583. Mark at BAM certainly knows his stuff too, and he's an OSO advertiser. I'd talk to both before deciding. --- Jer
Old 10-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Doller Offshore

We also have alot of experience w/ the velvet drives. Our tech John Klumpjan has been doing them for a Loooonnnggg time. All the parts in stock too.
800-376-1616.

Old 10-15-2003, 12:36 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replys. At least now I know what I've got .