Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure? >

Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?

Notices

Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?

Old 11-08-2003, 06:50 PM
Adivanman

I concur...There is no indication that there was any detonation (no scarring on the pistons, ect). It definately did get hot based upon the discoloration of the cylinder walls and the gaskets. Heat would seem most likely in this case.

Old 11-09-2003, 02:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the input

Thanks to everyone that has checked this out. Im not sure about the overheating. Could the gasket just have fryed due to the heat from combustion and finally gave out causing the flame to travel back and forth, or is this way out of line. Im not a motor guy so bare with me!!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

TDO,

NO, the head gaskets are designed to take the heat of NORMAL combustion. They would not fail under normal conditions. Something very wrong happened here. As was said, simply replacing the head gaskets, regardless of what type you use, will most likely lead to disaster again. The real cause of the failure has to be found.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An interesting point to consider... when I had my heads redone due to poor leak down results the top end guy noticed something puzzling. The water transfer passages coming from the block on the center cylinders up to the heads was blocked by flashing from the original casting. He said that he had to drill them out(lightly). Ironically the center two cylinders on both of my motors had damaged the valve seats due to heat. He suspects that there was insufficient water flow due to this blockage. He also worked on another set of 502's and found the same thing. The guy was Eickerts top end builder and really knows his stuff..... I wonder if there is a defect on some of the blocks.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:01 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. I concur with everyone else about the overheat. The portions of head gasket burned across but not missing material indicate that the heads were warped at the time of failure. Since the are cast iron they may have flattened back out, but I would bet they are still warped. I suspect this engine overheated and the fresh water running around the temp sender gave you a false reading. Do you use crossovers or the stock thermostat housing/pump setup? You have to find out the root cause or the failure will reoccur.
Old 11-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It really sounds like you have 1 or 2 possible problems. I'm assuming fuel psi is in stock parameters and ocatne is at least 87.

First is water PSI. 15-17psi is low. Mercury Racing has a bulletin that calls for 25psi. I'm assuming you have a Spectre which runs high X dimensions. If you have the Mercury dual pickups on the drive, the side inlets release pressure. They can also suck air if there exposed to air. Plug them with 1/16" pipe plugs and you'll gain 5-8psi which is important.

Detonation is what caused the head gasket failure, if it burnt a piston, that was temp. The temp could have been from the detonation or from being lean which would've promoted detonation. I would assume that it was lean which then caused detonation which in turn creating tremendous heat and pressure. Pressure lifted the head, heat burnt the piston. From my experiance, the valves usually have a lot of damage if it's water related such as a steam pocket.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Registered

I too have overheated at wot with a normal indication on the guage. I lost a exhaust valve seat in #3.

This is what happen to my sbc. The stock merc gasket blocks the steam holes between the block and the heads. the fel pro marine gasket has a hole to relieve the steam pressure.

Is the stock merc gasket that failed blocking any steam holes?
Old 11-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Offshore Addiction
that motor got hot,the pistons and walls were washed clean w/unburned fuel,the head gaskets have been leaking for a while,that didnt just happen in a few minutes,you need to open your cooler up and tear your pump down and inspect it,youll probally find the cause there!

Are you saying a bad fuel pump could have caused this? If you look back toward the top of the link, I commented on having the same problem, but caught it (was lucky enough) before burning the bottom.

Just buttoned mine back up yesterday. New top end and all is fine. My gasket looked identical to 3DO's.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Registered

Exclamation I feel your pain!!!!

Well, since these pictures looked so familiar I had to jump in.
I thought we could compare and maybe help diagnose. Mine’s a bit worse but I was running quite a bit of boost also.
I lost substantial water pressure during, or just before, a wide open run and 9 lbs of boost.
The results are what follow.
The pictures show #6 damage results. The Super Alloy exhaust valve was welded in the seat, which in turn broke the push rod, which then broke the intake push rod.
My head gasket shows a lot of bypass from 6 to 4, 4 to 2, 5 to 7 etc….
My gaskets, although they never blew the fire ring had blown the composite material on 2, 6 and 7 right into the lifter valley. This had probably been happening for some time because I would occasionally get a big blow by issue when under heavy boost.

Anyway, I’ve concluded that water (lack of) was my issue.
Number 5 piston was also damaged as was #2 with the rings butted and froze on both of those. More likely a result and not the cause although they were never gapped for a blown application.

Normal cruise water pressure is 13-15 lbs. When we limped back 12 miles on 5 or 6 cylinders at 3300 rpm cruise, I had 5-6 lbs. I never happened to peek at the pressure gauge before nailing the sticks but I’m sure that if I had, I wouldn’t have.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?-badcyl_6a.jpg  
Old 11-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Registered

Exclamation

Chamber #6
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?-badcha6a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.