Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure? >

Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?

Notices

Head Gasket In HP500EFI Casues Failure?

Old 11-13-2003, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the large strainers from M&M. I will be definetly be paying closer attention in the future. I still do not think that I was running low on water pressure, but you never know. I have never had a cooling problem before. You would think that the water temp would get real hot and there would be a reading of high temp on the gauge, if the pressure was low. Im stumped, im just hoping I can somewhat pin point the problem to avoid future problems.

Thanks to everyone that have thrown their opinons out there, It has really helped with the on going problem, and what to avoid in the future.

3DO
Old 11-14-2003, 01:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with thermostats is the block psi going all over the place. We don't run stats, customers want to alot of times, but we run a restrictor instead. With a stat, you may have 30psi while it's closed and when it opens psi can drop to 10 then back, etc. This is one reason for installing all the holes in them, so there always bypassing.

From countless hours of research, we relieve the back of the block which makes the motors much less acceptable to steam problems. With a cross over, the water is going in the front of the block and can instantly go up and out. Only PSI makes the water fill the back cavities and only more PSI makes it move forward and out. With the relief, it bleeds out. It still takes psi, but by no means as much.

3 days only,
Your wasting your time sending the ECU away and you don't need to tune it. They don't vary. Dynoing will only help if somebody has the ability to diagnose the problem, if you start tuning (only a few can with MEFI3) and don't find the problem, it will just happen again. The ECU's are set on the safe side and do not vary or change.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 11-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

Dustin,
could you clarify what exactly you mean by relieving out the back of the block?
Does this mean tapping holes in the back water passages on the intake manifold and dumping a hose to the exhaust. What size hose? 1/4?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-17-2003, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossover Cooling?

Dustin,

This sounds like a much better way to cool the rear of the motor. Is there a kit that can be installed to complete this, or is it know how. Im not sure if my mechanic has any idea about this! What is the benefit of either running a stat or not? I was under the impression that the ECU adjusts the mixture or something under a certain temperture.

3DO
Old 11-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Joe
Offshore Cowboy
Platinum Member

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally posted by Offshore Addiction
no,it should have let go sooner,how big are your strainers,you may need to upgrade to larger capacity strainers,theyll deaireate and act as resevoirs when your in the air.....and you had better pay close attention to your water psi when shes reassmbled!
Can you either say more about this or e-mail me with your phone number and I'll give you a call. I might have had this problem. Thanks, Joe
[email protected]