I'd love a copy...
Thanks,
Dave
[email protected]
Old 12-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this tool work aligning a Velvet 72c V DRIVE to an arneson ? I have a 36 to 40 in. drive shaft with universals on each end. Also FALCON who and what is ITS. you refer to for an alignment tool #840965A1 ??? thanks andrewmasonsr
Old 12-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

andrewmasonsr,

I think this thread is about the alignment tool used for standard, transom mounted Bravo/engine installs, not internal engine drivelines and transmissions. I should have clarified that the "ITS" is a Mercruiser "Integrated Transom" version of the Bravo, which still needs an alignment tool similar to the Bravo. The number I referred to is a Mercruiser part number.

The ITS has additional setback built into a Bravo transom assembly so the tool I referred to is longer, but uses a slide for the part that goes into the gimbal bearing, so it can be used on the standard Bravo, as well as the ITS. The slide also makes it easier to visually adjust the alignment because you can remove it, allowing clearance between the shaft and the gimbal bearing with end of the tool inserted into the engine coupler. By looking at the gap between the shaft and the bearing, you can tell which direction the front of the engine has to move to be in alignment.

By the way, you can also check if the Bravo/engine is close to alignment without the tool. Use a digital level and check the transom angle, note the measurement or "zero" the protractor. Now put the tool on the crank damper, note the measurement. The engine should be 13 degrees different, regardless of transom/bottom angle.

To properly setup an internal driveline you need to get the driveline mounting flanges parallel. You can do this by using a digital level on each to get the same angle, then make sure the engine is square to the transom by measuring the engine on both sides to the transom or just keep the engine parallel, fore/aft, with the mounting stringer (assuming that the stringer is square with the transom).

Hope this helps,
Happy Holidays to all!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I would like a copy of the deminsions, I just replaced the motor and would make one on my lathe if i had the deminsions. Thanks in advance.