Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
XR Gear Failure >

XR Gear Failure

Notices

XR Gear Failure

Old 12-01-2003, 12:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same set up on the OSO Gladiator. At 120 hours the gears were flipped. At 240 hours the gears were replaced even though they still had more time. They were replaced as preventive maintenance for the World Races.

AS WE HAVE SAID A MILLION TIMES ON THIS SITE, USE THE MERCURY. THE OTHER OILS HAVE PROVEN NOT TO LUBRICATE AS WELL.

Bearings are more forgiving than gears as far as failure from water. Most likely a previous service was not done properly and that is why the water is in their. Of course the fishing line theory is a good one but highly unlikely to occur in both drives at once.

Drain Plug gaskets were probably not replaced.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:08 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

water & any kind of oil does not mix!!!if your drives have water in them they need resealed.i would get a new mechanic he doesn't know what he is talking about
Old 12-01-2003, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

At 100 hours my xr sport master blew the top cap off coming home from the KW Poker run. So now I'm buying new gear sets along with switching port side drive to starboard side.. I wish someone would build a better drive!
Old 12-01-2003, 01:00 PM
Registered

I think a better drive is out there - the Volvo DuoProp. I have been super impressed with every one that I have driven, and they seem to be pretty bulletproof. If someone has something to the contrary please let me know.
I have only owned bravos because they are the most popular and seem to have better resale value. I hear about problems with every bravo, or bravo derived drive. Even with relatively calm power. On the other hand, I have almost 500 hours on my drives without a problem, and I know others that are the same. It seems to be feast or famine.

Steve
Old 12-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Registered

baja27, do you have ITS? If not, the drives are notorious for those bolts coming loose. Don't ask me why but have seen it over and over again on non ITS set-up.

Most good drive mechanics will tell you that 90% of failures come from bad maintenance and driver error. On rare occassions you will see certain boats with funky set-ups that eat drives but very few and far between.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

OffShore it is not a ITS set up, also the bolts did come loose I was able to retrieve 2 of them , but in the process it destroyed the upper big time.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Registered

Troutly, I did not notice any water in the drives when I changed the fluid. I also did not have a problem with the oil foaming. I did have to top off the port drive resvoir on my last run but it was not down very much.

I guess I did not get the drain plugs sealed propperly but I have no idea how I could do that. IS it possible that something was not installed correctly?
Old 12-02-2003, 05:02 PM
Registered

We broke a drive this past weekend on our Top Gun (T/S, 500 EFI's, XR's) and the Top Cap was destroyed.

The boat is at Teague right now getting fixed, and we are putting Teague billet top caps on.

According to Teague the stock top cap is a weak link on the XR. I was suprised how thin they were judging by what was left.

I had an XR on my last boat running mover 800 hp, but had the billet top cap and never had a problem.
Old 12-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost an XZ drive this year with 140 hours on it.

The top cap broke internally and melted down and locked up the drive.

We service our equipment to death and had switched to Synergyn Synthetic just last winter thinking it would be better.

Mercury replaced the entire drive free of charge even though it was three weeks out of warranty.

In the process they made a believer out of me in their products. I have changed back to their High Performance Gear Oil.

Now I want billet top caps, but I will have to change my Steering brackets to had them due to the fact they are taller than stock.

Sorry about you problems, but another good point is the little o-ring type gaskets. I buy them a dozen at a time and replace both the drain and side vent gaskets everytime I take a plug out.

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails XR Gear Failure-boat-ac-pictures-081.jpg  
Old 12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc

My starboard side broke the top cap this year also. I'm going to look into the billet top caps too. Anybody have any info on who has the best ones?

Quest

Do your drives have drive showers? If they run too hot they can suck water in through the seals when cooling down after hard runs.

Quick Reply: XR Gear Failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.