Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim tab question...top end loss???? >

Trim tab question...top end loss????

Notices

Trim tab question...top end loss????

Old 11-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since these are Bennetts without the trimdicators you can trim the plastic stop down inside the cylinder. Bennett actually sells a different top portion with a modified stop length but without the trimdicator wires you should be able to do it yourself. This will give you the additional retraction you want.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Registered

If I decide that the tabs are causing too much drag, I will go ahead and try trimming them down. I will have to look at the cylinders closer to see how hard this would be. I'm not very familiar with this type of mod. If it was a sled, it would be a diff. story, but I haven't done a whole lot of boat mods yet.........key word 'yet'. I'm learning, thanks to you guys! What steps do I need to do to trim this down? J.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:20 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,892 Likes on 951 Posts

Before you go drilling any more holes, call Bennet. I believe that tey make an offset mount to go on the transom.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:18 PM
Registered

My cylinder comes down from below the swim platform on my boat. The top of the cylinder isn't attached to the transom. The top comes from farther back and then angles down and forward to the tab. Hard to explain, but if I were to add an offset mount, that would shorten the distance between the top mount and the tab mount, therefore pushing the tab downward. Thanks for the reply though. J>
Old 11-22-2003, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin. it is easy to trim the stops on the bennetts. i did it this year.

I have a 272 formula that has the silent thunder swim platform (BIG) and required the special shortie bennet rams. i blew one cylinder out this year and replaced with a typical cyliner, not knowing the formula had special shorties. for 1/2 the year it seamed the boat listed slightly. and i lost 1 mph on gps.
I wondered if i had water in the hull, wife gained alot of weight???? engines getting tired.......not sure

anyway i called bennett after looking closely at the tabs and realizing the new one was longer by 1 inch. they said they make a shorter one but in 3 minutes i could fix mine.

here is the process:

step on the tab extending it down . take a large vicegrip with a cloth and clamp the shaft right at the botom of the cylinder so that it stays extended. (there is a spring inside that wants to pull it up)

then unbolt the bottom attachment to the tab. push the tab down out of the way and then simply unscrew the cylinder from the top mount. turnning counter clockwise. place a bag or somthing under this spot so not to drip some hyd fluid on the floor etc. but not much drips out.

set the cyliner out of the way somewhere upright (there is some volume of fluid in it).

you will see the stop on the top attachment. it is a piece of plastic literally glued inside the treaded area that stops the plunger in the cylinder you just removed. carefully cut what you want off with a hack saw( i cut exactly 1 inch) clean all shavings so as not to get into the fluid after reinstalling. and re thread on your cylinder.
attach bottom to tab. Step on the tab, and release the vicegrip.

cycle the tabs full down and up a couple times and this automatically purges the air out of the system

done

BUT.. check for sure first by tieing up your tabs and seing if you get your speed back.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

you could also have martiniboat make you a set of tabs(bennet replacement) his already has a offset to raise them higher Im sure he could add more, plus they work alot better then the bennet tabs and look better
Old 11-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you trim them all the way up do they stay level with the bottom of the boat or do they lift to a higher attitude. If they do not lift up a bit past level with the boats bottom then you are going to loose a bit of speed. I run my boat with them up almost all the time. When it is rough I find that I run them level or just a touch down. This is with K-planes but the idea is the same. Sounds like your are not getting them to lift up high enough.

Jon
Old 11-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my old standart Bennett taps singel ram !!
Attached Thumbnails Trim tab question...top end loss????-20_11_2001_0002.jpg  
Old 11-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

now my new plate for my old rest !!!
Attached Thumbnails Trim tab question...top end loss????-pict0080.jpg  
Old 12-01-2003, 12:31 AM
Registered

what kind of speedo are you running? GPS or conventional. if conventional make sure it is clear of debris.