Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim tab question...top end loss???? >

Trim tab question...top end loss????

Notices

Trim tab question...top end loss????

Old 11-20-2003, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim tab question...top end loss????

I purchased my 2102 VIP Victory early this spring without tabs. I followed the directions carefully, I thought, when I put them on. I did it by myself, so it was a little difficult. My question is; when I did my final measurement of the lift of the trailing edge of the tab, it was only about 1/2" up from the straight edge. The direction said I think about 1" is where they should be. Is it possible that this could be causing excess drag for top end speed? It seems that I lost about 1-2MPH on top after I installed the tabs. The leading edge of the tabs are about1/8th to 1/4"above the trailing edge of the boat as it was told in the directions. I may end up redrilling the holes in the tabs and relocating the cylinder so that I can adjust them up farther out of the water. What do you think???????? Thanks. Justin. BTW the tabs are 12"x12" single cylinder.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:11 PM
Registered

does anyone have any suggestions?? thanks J.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added Bennett tabs to my Liberator and had mine about an inch up from the straight edge. If I remember correctly 1/4 to 3/8 up from the bottom. I saw no difference in speed with the tabs all the way up.
My bet is your still dragging them in the water , because they really shouldn't negitively impact your speed when retracted
Old 11-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are likely dragging them slightly. Anytime you add something to the surface of the boat you can lose speed. If there is a way to do it safely you need to have someone look at them while you are on plane. If they are pushing down on the water then you will scrub speed. But there may be no way to raise them high enough to keep them out of the water-that depends on hull form, x-dimension, and speed.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Registered

"Never Argue With An Idiot. He'll Drag You Down To His Level And Then Beat You With Experience. "
That is hillariously true!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think that I will be able to see them because of the swim platform. But I am almost sure that they are dragging a little. I think that if I reposition the cylinder mount on the tab, I will have plenty of throw yet. I never fully extend the cylinder, even with a full load in the rear and noone in the front, on take off.
Any other suggestions would be appreciated as well .
Thanks guys. J.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:45 PM
Registered

Are these Bennett tabs with or without trimdicators? If so then there is another possibility for adjustment without remounting the cylinders.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Registered

They don't have trim indicators, but the cylinders are bottomed out when the tabs are all the way up. Don't really see any other way, but I could be wrong????!?
Old 11-21-2003, 08:29 AM
1975 X-18 Donzi, Arneson
Platinum Member

Before you try remounting them, Disconnect the tab from the cyl. and duct tape the tab up higher to test what effect mounting the ram higher will have. Most likely your speed loss is not from the tabs. 1 -2 mph could be gained or lost from the air temp, water conditions, weight in boat etc..
Old 11-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Registered

This is why I ask you guys these things. Awesome idea! I have received nothing but great advice on this sight ever since I joined a month ago. I wish I would have years ago!!!! Thanks again everyone.

Pray for May!!! Hell, even April will do in Iowa....

Justin

Wish I had more advice to offer!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:45 AM
Registered

36,000,001 use for good ole DUCT TAPE!

Quick Reply: Trim tab question...top end loss????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.