Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Opinions on Headers Wanted >

Opinions on Headers Wanted

Notices

Opinions on Headers Wanted

Old 11-21-2003, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your sutphen sounds nice Bob. I am sold on the eickerts. I didn't know that was what was under the hatch. I was sitting on a freinds 42' carver (on your main) at Tomes several weeks ago when you came in. I like your ride!

Dave
Old 11-21-2003, 11:11 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Blue Thunder, KE's pipe works. I had Stellings, looked great but all I did was worry about a tube leaking and doing some damage. I even had a pump deal hooked up to drain the pipes on shutdown. Sold the Stellings and went to KE's and haven't looked back! I am going to be with KE next week, let me know if I can help you out. Next time your in Tomes stop over say hello, I am normally out tinkering with something on the boat. Slip is D-9.
Old 11-22-2003, 07:02 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

I too have KE's and have about 250 hrs. plus on them and they have been AWESOME. They are just a little on the loud side, so to keep my canal neighbors happy I installed Shotgun mufflers. Where do you buy KE exhausts now?
MD
Old 11-22-2003, 10:26 AM
Registered

I'll do that Bob. Every time I've been over to Tomes you are under the hatch. Man after my own heart for sure.

Dave
Old 11-22-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think they are great. The only failure I have seen is we melted one down once while getting way too much air time on a very serious engine. I think a good large sea water strainer (acting like a reservour) would have prevented that.
Old 11-22-2003, 01:14 PM
Registered

I run closed cooling. Any problem with that and the KEs? Hate to end up with your situation F31. I am actually hoping these headers have better water flow characteristics than the stock cast iron ploppage. I am think better water flow through the system will help my oil coolers to be more effective.

Dave
Old 11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Blue Thunder, I ran a set of KE's on my previous boat which had a closed cooling system and mad 620 hp at 5500. Stock Merc seawater pump, 190 thermos and ran great. I now run KE two stage water pump with fresh water cooling. I can cruise at 3500 for an hour and come off plane and you lay your hand on the manifolds, maybe 140 degrees or so. If you want you can install exh temp thermos without a problem also.
Old 11-22-2003, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave, I may be wrong here but I think that even in a closed cooling setup, the exhaust manifold and pipes are still cooled by raw water, arent they?
Old 11-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Registered

I may install exhaust temp gages. That seems like a good fact to have while running hard. My raw water system flows from the outdive pickup to the seapump, then to the oil cooler, then through the engine coolant heat exhanger, then to a tee that splits the raw water through both exhaust manifold/ risers and out the tips. I want more flow through the oil cooler. I think the stock merc cast iron manifolds may be causing some resrtiction to flow which contributes to high oil temps at WOT. My flow out the tips seems weak to me.

Dave
Old 11-25-2003, 04:32 PM
Registered

I made my KE purchase today at Innovation Marine, Sarasota. 2 sets $4k plus $400 for 2 sets of tail pipes. I was very impressed with Innovation's operation and the attitude of the establishment. Hopefully I will be as pleased with the headers.

Dave

Quick Reply: Opinions on Headers Wanted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.