Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered >

custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered

Notices

custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered

Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default step away from the spraycan

in your case definitely the dynamat it is self adhesive, you cut it to shape then peel and stick it is about 1/8" thick and you wont believe the difference it makes
Old 12-10-2003, 10:58 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I used that stuff on a car once. It is incredibly heavy. I also was less than impressed with it's ability to form and adhere.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 134 Likes on 48 Posts

Adrenaln- I have the fuzzy stuff (falling down)now.
I think I'd like to go with a nice clean white vinyl.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2003, 02:57 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I need some ideas to sound proof the engine room. It is under the floor. Floor is approx 16' X 8'. When at cruise or stopped with gen running it is very loud. The floor is solid. I think some sort of foam with a reflective metal coating would work, but I have no idea where to get something that is made specifically for this type of applicaton. If you know of a proven product and good place to buy it, I would love to dive into another effin boat project!

Steve H
Old 12-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Registered

Default accoustical sound dampening foam

ok guys this is the stuff for sound dampening in a marine use where you have 1.2 inches of room for this foam

here is the specs from the website you can look at it here http://www.soundabsorber.com/ but read this below

Acoustical Faced foam for sound absorbtion

Faced Acoustical Foam are a flexible open-celled foam that is Ether based. The Faced Acoustical Foamr is resistant to heat, resistant to moisture, and resistant to chemicals. Faced Acoustical Foam has an NRC (Noise Reduction Coefficient) rating of .75 out of a possible 1. In addition to the Faced Acoustical Foam coming in a variety of thicknesses, it also comes with a choice of coatings/facings. Our most popular choice is the white polyurethane faced acoustical sound absorber foam which is a good solution in the following applications: acoustical insulation, thermal insulation in marine applications, and architectural applications where low flame spread and smoke are requirements.

Faced Acoustical Foam Facing Options

White Polyurethane Film Facing BlackPolyurethane Facing Gray Tedlar® Film Facing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faced Acoustical Barrier Foam

Faced acoustical sound absorber barrier is a combination of dense closed-cell vinyl foam and a barrier composite. There are a variety of facings that we carry. The foam offers transmission loss properties over a broad frequency range. Commonly used in vehicle applications, this foam is designed for applications where transmission loss is to occur over a broad frequency range. The barriers come in 54" X 72" sheets.

Faced Acoustical Sound Absorber Foam Properties
Faced Acoustical Sound Absorbing Barrier Properties

Variety of Thicknesses
NRC Rating of .75 out of possible 1
Option of Four Facings
UL94-HF1 Fire Rated
Stock Size: 4' x 8' x 1" Thickness of .375"
Option of Three Facings
Sound Absorber and Blocker
Frequently Used in Transportation Industry

Sound Barrier Facing Options

Vinyl Barrier Composite laminated on Acoustic Foam

Applications for Faced Sound Absorbers

Marine Architectural Applications
Engine Rooms Generators Load Machinery Sound Isolation
Home Theaters Engine Compartments Industrial Partitions Appliances
Swimming Complexes Ice Arena Complexes HVAC Restaurants
Acoustical Insulation Residences Wall Panels Schools
Sound Absorber Noise Absorber Boats Studios
Libraries Studios Office Buildings Gymnasiums
Churches Auditoriums Vocal Rooms Boiler Rooms
Recording Studios Entertainment Rooms Compressors Motor Homes
Radio Broadcasting Automobiles Isolation Booths Conference Rooms

Commonly used terms referring to Sound Absorber

Sound Absorption Foam Foam Curtain Silencer Foam Noise Damping Materials
Sound Proof Barriers Silencer Foam Noise Reduction Noise Proof Material
Sound Proof Enclosures Noise Control Foam Sound Proof Panels Sound Barrier Material
Sound Absorbing Panels Foam Curtain Closed Cell Foam Insulation Foam Wall Panels
Fire Resistant Sound Proof Sound Proof Foam Acoustical Material Sound Absorbing Material

E-Mail: [email protected]

Please call For Pricing. Quantity Discounts Available.

American Micro Industries Telephone & Fax Sales Contacts
440-C Ramsey Ave
Chambersburg, PA 17201
800-558-2058
Fax: (717)261-9161
Int'l Phone: ++01 717-261-9191 Michael Crabtree
Mike Staggs
Tyler Roberts
Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Registered

Default sink/tv/vcr in BAJA 27

that pic at the top is a unit we made for that boat they do not come with sinks etc, so we made the sink unit and I reupholstered the cushions to look like factory
Attached Thumbnails custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered-snk3.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Registered

Default regarding dynamat

dynamat is heavy and thats why I dont recommend it for boats, for cars its the only thing I do recommend, u can heat it and use a rubber hammer or roller to bend it into shape but all the

IASCA competitors use it !

http://www.dynamat.com/

Description
Dynamat Original is a styrene-butyadine-rubber-based, pressure-sensitive adhesive-backed, heat bondable vibrational damper. Dynamat Original conforms and fuses easily to sheet metal and other hard substrates. Material performance is optimized for temperature ranges between 14°F and 86°F (-10°C to +30°C). Material can withstand temperature extremes between -22°F and +350°F (-30°C to +177°C) and is highly resistant to aging.
<< back to top

Acoustic Properties
The acoustic loss factor "n" is used as a measure of a material's ability to damp structure-borne sound by stating how much vibrational energy (in steel sheets for instance) is converted to heat rather than sound. For constructions containing several layers of damping material, the combined loss factor "n comb" is used. The theoretical maximum loss factor is 1 (no vibration). An undamped 1mm thick steel panel has a loss factor of roughly 0.001 at 200 Hz. Dynamat Original applied to that panel would increase the loss factor to 0.14 @ +50°F (+10°C). Multiple layers of Dynamat Original improve sound damping even more.
<< back to top

Applications
Dynamat Original can be die cut to shape and placed onto the body surface directly on painted panels or after the sheet metal is cleaned before painting (typically at the sealer application operation). Dynamat Original is used to treat metal panels, partitions, ducts, doors, bins, panels, and so forth in railroad cars, buses, automobiles, and ships. It is also used for ventilation ducts, relay cabinets, steel furniture, home appliances, sink units, computer equipment, machine tools and many other objects that suffer from vibration-produced noise.
<< back to top

Installation
Use scissors, knife or die to cut Dynamat Original to the desired size and shape before removing the release liner. Next, remove dust, grease, moisture, and other foreign matter from the application surface. Peel off the release liner. The simplest application technique is to bend the mat slightly and attach it along its shortest edge. Press the mat firmly into place, using a roller for larger pieces. The roller reduces the risk of leaving air pockets, which reduce Dynamat's sound damping capacity. The temperature of the mat and application surface should not be below room temperature during fitting. Heating the material improves bonding and elastic moldability.
<< back to top

Specifications
Red denotes metric measurements

Appearance:
Thin, smooth black mat with blue poly release liner

Thickness:
0.070" (1.78mm)

Mass:
0.68lb./ft2 (3.32kg/m2)

Acoustic Loss Factor @ Temperature (Using ASTM method E756@ 200 Hz):
0.14 @ +14°F (-10°C)
0.16 @ +32°F (+0°C)
0.14 @ +50°F (+10°C)
0.08 @ +68°F (+20°C)
0.08 @ +86°F (+30°C)
0.05 @ +104°F (+40°C)
0.04 @ +122°F (+50°C)
0.04 @ +140°F (+60°C)

Temperature Range (Optimal performance):
14°F to+86°F (-10°C to +30°C)

Temperature Range (Resistance):
-22°F to +350°F (-30°C to +177°C)

Chemical Resistance:
Resistant to water and mineral oils

Adhesive Peel Strength (Bond strength):
8.6 lbs/inch (15N/cm) on cold steel

Federal Standards Tests:
FMVSS 302 Meets

Handling and Application:
Store material at room temperature for best application

its the **** man!
Attached Thumbnails custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered-2002_dually_07.jpg  
Old 12-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Registered

Default hey sonic

headliners...............first step remove old headliner fuzzy****

important note #1 before you rip it down realize that the fuzzy **** covers and hides a multitude of sins.ie:uneven glasswork, gaps in the layup etc, wiring,

when you cover it with vinyl, even with foam behind it , all of that WILL show!! so take a feel to see if there is anything under there you dont want to see before you rip all the fuzzy out

step 2: grind all the old glue/fuzz/****ty fiberglass lumps etc off so you have a smooth as babies ass finish!

step3: glue on a good quality 1/4 or 1/2" foam over the entire surface using a good quality vinyl top adhesive (not regular contact cement or spray bombs of 3m glue), you will need a spraygun for this as well as MUCHO ventilation and preferrably a supplied air mask system.

step 4 pattern and sew (because vinyl only comes in 54" widths, you will have to seam it ! ) the 2 sides together

step 5: start in the center and work out wards , generally speaking depending on the layout of the ceiling make sure that it is tight front to back along the centerline first!! and glue up the vinyl to the foam
make sure you get enough glue on every bit of foam and vinyl as vinyl is heavier than fuzzy**** and if you are out wavejumpin every weekend you want this stuff to hold!!

PSSS: THERE ARE SOME VERY NICE FUZZY****S AVAILABLE NOW !!!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:21 PM
CMN2GTU

Some products I would like to get feedback on are:

Marine grade Rhino Lining

Hempel deck paint, Hempel bilge paint

GIT ROT wood rot treatment

I have carpet on the deck and inside the hull surfaces.
I hate it, it's way too studio 54.
I want it gone, first I want to make sure there's nothing rotting below the floor...and I would like to seal the deck up to gunwale, Rhino Line the entire interior except floor, paint the deck with Hempel deck paint, and add some sort of rubberized material in the higher traffic ares.

Old 12-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Guido.. You really sound like you know what you are talkin about. Maybe you could show us some more of your interior work?

Thanks,
Wallynt

Quick Reply: custom upholstery/tops/stereo/tv/dvd installer if you guys need questions answered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.