Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
winterizing ??? >

winterizing ???

Notices

winterizing ???

Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 AM
bowtie89

Question winterizing ???

ok I have winterizind jetskis before but this year I have a boat I winterized with the fluid and fuel stabalizer but I can't believe I forgot to fog out the motor I just shut if off!!! how bad is this the boat is covered up and put away!!! I live on long island!!!!! Should I go back out there take the snow off and redo it????(I even bought the fogging oil but didn't do it damn it!!!!!!!!!! I am such a retard!!!!! thanks! oh yeah I didn't tell you its a 350 magnum!!!! that runs mint!!!

Old 12-10-2003, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Could have been worse LOL!

IMO It's not that huge a deal .. At least you got the lemonade (pink stuff) in This is a must! This year I got one engine fired, fogged, pinked and completed. The other engine wouldn't fire (even went thru the pains of replacing a starter ... tried and tried but no go) the cold was creepin in quick, so I just dropped the drain plugs, refilled with pink and closed her down till spring. I'll deal with it in the spring. The fog lubes evertything, carbs, lifters, rings, all great to do, but now that she's snug as a bug I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Spring will be here soon enuf (I hope) BTW, I'm in NJ so I can relate.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:20 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 510 Posts

njgr8ful, make sure you drained the feed lines from the sea-water pump of water as well......pulling the drain plugs from the block wont do it and first good solid freeze if you have a pump and lines full of water it will bust the pump.....maybe the oil/powersteering cooler...or if you get luck just the water supply line.

That is ofcourse if you have an external sea-water pump.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Wally
njgr8ful, make sure you drained the feed lines from the sea-water pump of water as well......pulling the drain plugs from the block wont do it and first good solid freeze if you have a pump and lines full of water it will bust the pump.....maybe the oil/powersteering cooler...or if you get luck just the water supply line.

That is ofcourse if you have an external sea-water pump.
Thanks Wally, I hope I got it all I pulled all the hoses to the Tstat and then to the exhaust risers/manifolds. and filled, and more filled. After filling everything I got antifreeze to come back out thru the exhausts and the outdrive, So, I figured this meant it filled the hoses down thru to the sea water pump ..... I sure hope so.

But bowtie's question was about fogging What's your opinion there?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:21 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 510 Posts

I dont think its all that big a deal if he forgot to fog......if you want some piece of mind then just go over tot he boat, pull the plugs out and squirt some oil in the cyl......bump the motor over and your done.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-16-2003, 09:27 PM
Registered

Wally is right, spray some fluid into the cylinders and crank. The important thing is to get the water out of the block. My disaster story (I am also on LI) - new Baja Hammer with 7.4L. Guys at West Marine told me how to winterize - run engine until warm, place hose in a couple of gallons of anti-freeze, and with engine running, let it suck the anti freeze into the engine. When you see the pink stuff running out the exhaust, you're done. BIG mistake. No one told me that the thermostat would close when the cold a-f hits it. Had to pull the covers and run a heater for 3 days to defrost my frozen block! Anyway, thank God no damadge. Now I always pull the plugs and do it the right (hard) way.

Note - Merc manual calls for pulling fuel filter, draining and adding couple of oz's of 2 cycle oil to fog the engine.