driveshaft bellow leaking >

driveshaft bellow leaking

Notices

driveshaft bellow leaking

Old 01-23-2002, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post driveshaft bellow leaking

I just changed out my driveshaft bellow. and I put it in the water and a small stream of water was coming in. I ran the boat for about 30 minutes, and it looked like it stopped. I got home and figured out how to get a wrench up in there and turned it another 1 and a half turns. Do you think that will stop it or was it installed wrong?
I pulled the drive and water came out and was standing inside the bellow?

Jason
Old 01-23-2002, 11:44 AM
GOT MERC?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I need a couple of questions answered.
When you removed your old one did you clean the area where the bellows attaches to the housing with laquer thinner? Also did you use Mercruiser bellows adhesive to install it. Also did you cote both the bellows and the area it attaches to with adhesive and let it set up before installing? One more did you install the bellows correctly? One side goes to the transom one side goes to the prop.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:40 PM
Registered

I did not clean it with laquer thinner. I did clean it (scraped it) and wiped it down. I did use bellows adhesive, and did let it dry. Also, I did install it the correct way.

Would not using the laquer screw it up?
Old 01-23-2002, 02:23 PM
jr

I got a tip from an old mechanic. Instead of using the bellows glue from Mercruiser, use Permatex Ultra Black. It gives a longer working time. Tried it on mine and it works great.

Old 01-23-2002, 05:33 PM
Registered

Did you position the hose clamp in the proper position? I believe the bellows is molded so there is only one correct way to position the clamp screw assembly. Mine is at 3 oclock - bravo drives

Dave
Old 01-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Registered

Same on Alphas... o clock.

What i am curious about is do you think it will seal back, or do i need to redo it?

J
Old 01-23-2002, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I would redo it. The risk is too great. Water in there will destroy the universals and when they blow up, you do not even want to know what its gonna cost to fix.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
yup if water went in there you better get it out!!! Take is apart again and try it again. Good luck

Jon
Old 01-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you get the correct tool to install the expander ring in the bell housing? Thats what makes the seal at that end. Also make sure the bellows is pulled in so both rings are inside the bell housing before you install the ring.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:08 PM
GOT MERC?

Angry

If Mercuiser wanted you to use Permatex black silicone they would have told all us Cert Techs to use it! Don't do it half ass use what the manufacturer tells you to use. Laquer thinner is the solvent for bellows adhesive.

Quick Reply: driveshaft bellow leaking

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.