Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Help**The Head Bolt Heads are rusted OFF >

Help**The Head Bolt Heads are rusted OFF

Notices

Help**The Head Bolt Heads are rusted OFF

Old 12-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just happened to be looking through a Northern Hydraulics catalog and saw some tools just for this. Page 49, Irwin Hanson bolt extractors.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW! my 95 that see's salt 75+ % of the time dont even look nearly that bad. Kind a makes you wonder how the head gasket does not let go from loseing its torque? Rag's
Old 12-27-2003, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STRIP any up dates yet? did you get it all apart? what did the rest look like? Rag's
Old 12-27-2003, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst case senario..... you will have to find a shop that does EDM removal.... I've had broken off studs removed. .....but it isn't cheap... usually $45.00 per bolt..... but it works like magic..
Old 12-27-2003, 09:40 PM
Registered

Default Here's what I did in a similar situation

Here is a post that I did back when one head bolt was left when I removed my heads...

QUOTE]Originally posted by ljsmith1
Well...I took the suggestion of the Craftsman Bolt-Out sockets, and I went out and purchased the impact set for $49.99. Following the set's instructions, I placed the smallest socket that would fit over the rusted head. I then applied the impact wrench to it with about 600 lb-ft of reverse force...and...zzzzziiiiipp...the Bolt-out socket flutes stripped away, and the head bolt remained firmly in place (albeit a little more chewed up). Another socket that was a little bigger - same thing.

I then tried the hammer-on standard socket approach. All I got was two split sockets and a sliced knuckle. I tried the propane torch, hammer & chisel...still stubbornly the bolt remained. Hmm...maybe the head bolt is hardened - duhhh...

It was starting more and more to look like I was going to have to drag out the Oxy-Acetylene torch and risk blowing myself up...until I got a brainstorm...D-R-E-M-E-L. Could it work? Would it have the balls to beat this thing? Would I need MORE POWER!?

Well, I started with the reinforced 1" diameter cutting wheels and I proceeded to delicately dice the top of the bolt head-just like on TV. Pie piece after pie piece, sparks and more sparks. Then, I took the cold chisel and baby sledge and proceeded to bust up the head into little itty bits. Wouldn't you know it? In about 1/2 hr and very little sweat, I was finally able to remove the bolt. And I didn't even blow myself up!

And presto! the cylinder head is now separated off the engine. Sure enough, the head gasket shows the tale of a nearby water passage seal letting go and right into cylinder #5.

What a great forum this is to get ideas! I appreciate the help that everyone gave me.

Regards,

-Larry

Hmmm...cappuchino? My wife might like this flavor.....

PS- I will post a picture of the bastard bolt as soon as I get a chance. I think I will frame it...
[/QUOTE]

Let me tell you...that little tool saved my day..month..and year! It will take you a little while, but at least you will not blow up in the meantime!

Good Luck!

-Larry
Old 12-27-2003, 11:17 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Reed Jensen
Worst case senario..... you will have to find a shop that does EDM removal.... I've had broken off studs removed. .....but it isn't cheap... usually $45.00 per bolt..... but it works like magic..
I don't think it will need a edm .how many people know what it is???? i got all but one each on each head out there is a enough to use the craftsman toll on but i am dealing with mr elcheapoo. i have a cut off tool i will try? i am taking pictures as i go

I took of the oil pan ,nothing in the bottom of the pan ,very clean not even any residue.

took off the intake . clean
This motor in going to be a good one . I think the exhaust were leaking and he just keep on going reason for th erustt there was so much belt dust on the front of the motor it looked like a motor in a car at 100K mile with no gunking.Bad .Some people are not worthy on owning a high per boat

He would have been a good test junkie for the 500 efi 's. WFO is a under statement no consecpetion what happends when its out of the watter at WFO.He NEVER lets out.over 500 hours.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-27-2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Strip Poker 388
I don't think it will need a edm .how many people know what it is????
EDM, hmmmm. Electrical Discharge Machine. Just a guess. Gotta love Japax. But then my expertise is with the traveling wire EDM's more so than the RAM EDM's.

I got some blow flakes I wired out a few yrs ago, but might be better suited for the uncensored section.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-28-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

A good torch guy can have those bolt heads off in 30 seconds each. If you arent a good torch guy then take it to one. That's not a good application to "learn"on.

Won't hurt the heads (if a good torch guy does it).

I'd charge you $20 to cut all the heads off if I could get to them without having to lay in a pretzel or something.

Call around and find a good torch guy.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Centerpunch the bolt, drill the head off with a 1/2" drill bit then lift head up off studs. Now wasn't that simple enough?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:53 AM
Registered

US1, it's almost impossible to drill hardened head bolts. You would have better luck grinding or using a torch.

Quick Reply: Help**The Head Bolt Heads are rusted OFF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.