Intial Dart 540, AFR 315CNC Dyno Results

Old 12-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good combo, reliablity driven !
Old 12-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you only want to go to 5500rpm than why not have used the 731 cam?
Old 12-24-2003, 02:51 PM
Registered

I considered and debated between the 731 and 741 for awhile, but I thought the 741's profile best fit the flow curve of the AFR heads. The additional cubes of the 540 vs. the 454-502's the cams are designed for pulls the curves down to lower rpms. The 731 would have increased the low end torque compared to the 741, at the expense of some hp at the upper end of my rpm range, so I thought the 741 would be easier on the drives out of the hole, while giving me a couple mph at the top end.

In either case, they're both pretty mild cams.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What do you think the cost of this motor is? Like to build a second one just like it or what would you do different if you built a second one? Thanks Marty.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Registered

Cobra marty,

I built 2 540's, and a rough tally is about $10k each from pan to carb. Everything was brand new. I could have saved a little by using different brand parts, but I stuck with what has always worked for me. Some of the parts like the Crower cranks and rods are probably overkill, and I didn't really need Del West valves, or titanium retainers and locks, but they're nice to have stuff.

If I did anything differently, I probably would have went with a little more compression over the 9:1, but I'm really kinda pushing the TRS drives as it is. If I weren't drive limited, my combination would have been alot different, but I built these motors for my specific application and limitations.

Fred, Thanks. I really can't wait to get her in the water now. The Velvet Drives as getting hopped up to Huber 925 specs and I should have everything back together within a month. Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna raise the engine hatches. My wife already told me scoops are a "no go". She's claimed the sunpads for herself (which I had reupholstered, along with the surround pad - sans the pleats.) I'm gonna get the cockpit redone before Spring, at least that's my plan.

I'm looking forward to hearing what kinda power you're putting in the Sutphen. If I remember correctly, you bought blocks several weeks ago?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Registered

If you don't mind me asking, what does Huber charge to do the 925 upgrade on the Velvet Drive transmissions?
Old 12-25-2003, 09:42 AM
Registered

$1100 is what they quoted me over the phone.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Monty:

It is smart to look first at what your drives will handle. There are so many options for making more power that TRS or Bravo drives can't handle. BUT...it still bothers me that the engines we build can make so much more power if only the drive would take it.

When you do decide to add a blower, I believe WPM sells the Konrad drive that will bolt up to the TRS gimbel housing and take 800 HP. Does anyone else remember this in the boat mags from a few years back?

Of course with a blower that engine would make 1000 HP, so you're back to the same problem.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered

Tpmcat,

I'm not familair with the Konrad drive, got any links so I can get some more info. Any idea how much $$.

I seriously considered going with a surface drive system, such as Pulsedrive, but besides the cost, the transom rework and moving the engines around bothers me. Not to mention the fact that the hull was never designed for a surface drive. Other than couple of minor things, the hull is in very good shape and I'd hate to mess with it.

Even going to 3A's seems like more work than the boat is worth. I just can't see spending 60%+ of what I paid for the boat on new drives. I'd be better off just getting a different boat.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it was from WPM, which I think stands for Warlock Performance Marine which I think is owned by Tom Stolarz who used to own Warlock Boats. The Konrad drive was developed originally for diesel powered workboats so very capable as far as torque. WPM was actually selling it with an extension box that contained a transmission. This is a few years back so my memory is fuzzy. But someone on this board will know.

Quick Reply: Intial Dart 540, AFR 315CNC Dyno Results

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.