Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
whipple or repower >

whipple or repower

Notices

whipple or repower

Old 01-29-2002, 12:42 PM
NVRENOUGH

Post whipple or repower

Hello everyone, i have been lurking for months and this is my first opost so bear with me if I say something stupid . anyway on to the question. i currently have a 454 mpi ( 310 hp) i have been reading that this is not a good canidate for modiications. So I was wondering what would be the better option, a whipple on this motor, it has 42 hours on it, or just dumping it and getting the 496 ho from bam marine. which would be easier, more reliable ect.... I have been going back and forth for a while so i figured i would ask people who actualy know what they`re talking about. thanks in advace
jason

Old 01-29-2002, 12:54 PM
Bayley

Jason,
Talk to Dustin Whipple about supercharging the 310hp 454. While it might not have the "heavy duty" goodies of it's brother, the 454 Magnum, it can survive for quite a long time with a blower.

A bolt on Whippler kit will hands down be cheaper than a new 496 and will have noticebly more power. I guess it's all down to taste and personal preference. There's quite a few people on this board with Whipple kits on everything from single applicating in a Crownline, to triple HP500 EFI's in a Black Thunder. I'm currently running twin 454 mag's with the Whipple's and just recently had them dyno'd at 550 hp a piece. During the dyno run, I ran the water temps at 150 instead of 100. Theoretically, the horsepower could have been down as much as 12%. Check out my Web Site if you're interested.

-Bayley

Old 01-29-2002, 01:59 PM
NVRENOUGH

Thanks for the information. nice boat by the way. the whipple seems like the way to go but just one more thing. what other modifications need to be made ie heads, cam, fuel system ect...

thanks jason

Old 01-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Bayley

Thanks.

The Whipple kit was a complete bolt on. No mods were needed to the heads, cam, valve, or fuel system. The kit does need a secondary fuel pump for the aux. injectors up by the throttle body, but all this is supplied in the kit.

The guys at Whipple will most likely suggest a low water pickup or a transom mounted water pickup. Water flow is very critical in any supercharged marine application. Not an area you'd want to cut corners in.

Old 01-29-2002, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bayley,

Just checked out your website.

1st off, any passenger that cleans up their own puke is welcome on my boat anytime!!! . 2nd Boat looks great. 3rd what props did you run befor the Spin.? What do they do differently for you?

Thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 02:23 PM
NVRENOUGH

hmmmm thanks a lot. having done a couple of supercharger instalations on cars, i had a mustang with a small vortech and my buddy had a twin turbo setup , I think I could handle the blower install but i would be a little iffy on the low water pick up, there are A LOT of weeds on this lake. I would probably have to have someone install the transom mouted pick up.
thanks for the info
Jason

Old 01-29-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same dog of an engine and I am contemplating the same question as you. In addition to the whipple would a set of edelbrock aluminum heads and cam swap even give a greater boost in h.p. I thought I might start there and then eventually get the blower. What do you all think. Thanks
Old 01-29-2002, 06:15 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it is the lower end (Crank, Rods and pistons) that are what concidered the weak point of the engine. The heads would not pose a problem especially with a blower. If it were my choice I would whipple it, Run it till/if it blows. Then if need be take the whipple off and put in on a 454mag or 502 new engine.
Old 01-29-2002, 09:58 PM
NVRENOUGH

The weak points are the lower end but what i was wondering is if you need to change the heads and cam to realize the full hp gains. one more thing, has anyone installed a transom mouted water pickup, if so is it possible or should i have it professionaly done?

thanks jason

Old 01-30-2002, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nvrenough, transom pickup is pretty easy, or you can probably send your drive to Bob Machine which does a nice job. But the transom pickup requires you to drill one hole, and three pilot holes for the wood screws, then you have to cut the pickup at an angle to scoop the water and not drag too much. The only trick is usually finding the proper spot where you can get at it from the inside to put the hose on it.

220eaglexp, the heads, cam and pistons are the weakest point of that engine. The rods and crank can take the power for sometime as long as the rpm's are kept at a modest level. The stock heads, although they work pretty well have a huge "hot spot" and not the best water flow around the heads. So bolting a set of high flow aluminum heads (go with Dart Pro Ones, 325's) and a nice hydr. roller such as the 500 HP EFI cam, then you'll be really making some nice power. Problem is that the computer has to be calibrated for these mods. The normal system, we run 5-6lbs. of boost with a 5000rpm rev limiter and have had pretty good success. You can have Az. Speed and Marine do the work and programming if you want to do the heads and cam.

The good thing is that if you buy the heads and cam, you can put that on a 502 later, same blower, intercooler, throttle body, etc. and have a 700hp motor with the proper upgrades. Just a thought.

Thanks,
Dustin

Quick Reply: whipple or repower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.