Patching outdrives with Bondo?

Notices

Patching outdrives with Bondo?

Old 01-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Patching outdrives with Bondo?

I have two holes in each cavitation plate from a previous drive shower installation. I want to plug these holes withe something. What about just bondo-ing these up and prime and paint. Any problems with that?
Old 01-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Brad Perry

Probably not, but bondo was not meant to span any distance, i.e., holes. I have been told that it will also absorb water if the paint got a nick and expand. Sea-goin epoxy works like bondo, but hardens more. Can be primed and painted the same. WPM can source it among others.

Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 PM
Bruce

I'd suggest you clamp something like a paint stir stick on the bottom of the cavitation plate to block the hole, then force fill it with JB weld or MarineTex two part epoxy. Both are water resistant and will adhere to metal. Bondo will absorb water and expand.

Old 01-29-2002, 05:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thanks I have some JB at home I'll try that.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:44 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I have not been satisfied with MarineTex. My problems have been lack of adhesion to it's self, pockets that did not set, and slow cure times. I have never had a negative experience with JB weld or any of the other "plumbers putties". I'd try that. Don't forget that you'll need to repaint so grab that can of Phantom Black before you start.
Old 01-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure the sides of the hole are clean aluminum and not oxidized. You might want to clean them with a dremel or a round file. I think the jb weld will work too.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:17 PM
Registered

You could just weld them up.. If you don't have a welder take it to a guy they might charge you $20 to do it.
Old 01-29-2002, 06:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I thought about welding them but I only have a mig welder. I dont think it does aluminum. I am also concerned about heating the case too much with out dissassembly. I was told once by a repair guy this was bad.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:57 PM
BigGrizzly

Ray, you have two options. 1) use J.B> weld. or @) weld it -- agood welder won't get it hot enough to do any damsge to the seals.

Randy

Old 01-29-2002, 09:16 PM
Registered

if you cannot find a decent welder use VC watertite, can be used up to 3/4's of an inch and is the s#!t, my .02 cents.

Quick Reply: Patching outdrives with Bondo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.