Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc 496 HO  -- trouble with new technology >

Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Notices

Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Old 01-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Kentz

Hey, don't want to be the cause of another Virginia Beach boaters war.

ps. PQ said mine was the best looking 340 to ever leave the factory

Old 01-29-2002, 08:33 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great points Dave...
Bottom line to all is DON'T SIGN
before a test run.
I ran lake Erie in 51 degrees.

Thanks for sharing your info. I hope you get her fixed soon.
Bryan

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: 2001 26ZX ]
Old 01-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

Forgetta'bout it! You got nothing on this paint job and windscreen. Email me a pic of yours and I'll do the same ([email protected]).

Now we only gang up on others... LOL
Old 01-29-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

Unfortunately it doesn't matter how good it looks if only one engine runs properly.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:09 PM
kook

Originally posted by PQVyper340:
<STRONG>.....What will it take to drive them to improve? Didn’t the automotive companies once act in this manner?</STRONG>

In the auto industry, the Japs opened a can of 6 sigma whoop-ass, and US auto manufacturers have been trying to catch-up for decades since. I've beaten the livin' **** out of several Toyotas, starting with a '71 Corolla and now towing my boat with a '97 4-banger pick-up - they just keep on tickin'. YMMV.

Old 01-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Build your own motors - that way you have no one to rely on but yourself! Pull those damn computers off, and throw on a Holley!!

Sorry dude. Just be glad this chit is happening in winter. Just imagine this in the middle of summer!! I know I'm not much help, but I feel your pain. Every new boat I ever bought (3 total) were almost more work than the used ones.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Registered

Steve,

Good to hear from you. Sorry we couldn't make the trip up for the OSO gathering.

You're right about building my own. I wish I had the time...
Old 01-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

And that's why I'm going carburated...
Old 01-29-2002, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Here is my opinion on this based on my personal experience with boats and also being a New car dealer service mgr. The dealer that sold you the boat is responsible for any problems. Every new car,truck,boat ,motorcycle etc. has a percentage of the cost earmarked to cover the cost of warranty repairs.You paid this when you bought a NEW boat.If the dealer cannot repair the boat then it is the manufacturers responsibility. You have made an error here by not immediately returning the boat to dealer no matter how far away and by having a non-selling dealer tech touch the engines. As soon as you noticed problems it should have gone back. If you get no satisfaction from dealer then go to Powerquest customer service. If no luck there which I doubt would happen but if so take immediate legal action.You cannot blame Mercruiser for loose clamps etc. because Powerquest bought motors from Mercruiser then installed them in boat. That is a Powerquest problem which should have been double checked by selling dealer. They are paid to check out boat before delivery to customer.I am sorry it seems so many mixups have occurred in this situation but a cool head will go a long way toward getting what you deserve. If you haven't already, start communicating with the owner of the boat dealer. If you get the brush off call Powerquest cust service and talk to dealers rep. This should get the ball rolling.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:47 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Bigwavz, you should've taken the boat back to where you bought it.
You made a mistake in having someone else's mechanic work on it and the biggest mistake was swapping the computers and attempting to diagnose/fix it yourself. If Mercury finds anything wrong that could even be remotely connected to what you were trying to fix they could say you caused the problem and deny the warrenty claim.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Merc 496 HO -- trouble with new technology

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.