Stringer Replacement Formula 302 >

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Notices

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Old 04-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok time for a update. I got the stringers all glassed in. Took a ton of grinding to get this far but it is really coming out well.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-63-stringers-all-glassed-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Then I had to tackle the floor. The floors I never really looked at when I took them out of the boat. When I looked at them to put them in I decided that I would be insane to put them back in with out re-coreing them. First thing that I did was cut out the old Coring and Sand out all the old wood.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-64-core-removed-deck-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

The old floor was made up of what looked like sections of wood that they had laying around the shop. They were made up of 4 pieces of plywood. I decided to make them out of one piece.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-66-core-bonded-down-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

When I was done cutting out the floor material I drilled a LOT of 1/32 holes in the wood about ever 4 inches apart. This was to allow the air to escape from btwn the wood and the glass. I also made a flat board to make sure that the new floor was flat. I then put a good coating of resin and glass down then put the new wood down and then the piled every heavy thing I could get on top to act as a vice.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-65-laminating-floor-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:40 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I then used Epoxy to glass the underside of the deck. I did this because the small amount of area that I had to tab. I figured with the superior strength of the Epoxy that it was a good idea. I personally find Epoxy VERY hard to work with but in this case I thought it was worth the effort.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-67-glassing-underside-deck-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This was kind of the fun part. I put in 2 pound pour foam into the cavities under the floor. This is coast guard aproved foam. I think that the foam that I got was defective as it did not expand any wear near what they quoted me and I ran out . The company did say however that they would send me more foam to make up for the short fall.

Once the cavities are filled up then I took a saw and cut out the foam. I cut down tell I hit the stringers. I then cut sideways from back to front. Then I used a file to get it down tell the saw marks were gone. This way I knew that I had the foam below the floor.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-68-pour-foam-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I then needed to put in the bulkhead that extends up past the floor to the deck. Originally this was just screwed in place. It was also not glassed!! It was just plain wood with carpet on top. This was were the water got in last time. So I decided to glass it into place this time. This picture is the top part glassed in. I can not believe hos much stronger the deck feels now. It no longer flexes when I jump up on it.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-69-glassing-bulkhead-port-small-.jpg  
Old 04-04-2004, 11:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

In goes the floor and the project is VERY close to completion. I have to glass in the front of the floors still and then do some flat work but not much as it will all be hiden when the side pannels get made and installed. Today was a big one as this basically is the finish of the nasty part of the job. From hear on out it is just a little bit of sanding hear and there but no major grinding.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-71-floor-down-small-.jpg  
Old 04-05-2004, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Great job Jon. I'm guessing that your bolster bases mount to center part of the floor that is removable and is over the fuel cell. Before you mount this it might be good idea to measure up and mount some stainless backing plates to receive your bolster mounting hardware.You have come this far why stop now. Again great work.

Rick G.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you install any type of drainage system?

Quick Reply: Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.