Stringer Replacement Formula 302 >

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Notices

Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jon,

You are right, in my case nothing worse than doing the job twice. Thats what i keep telling both my customers and my guy's spend a little extra time and materials and do it once!!

I see you have use of a glass shop, makes things a lot nicer, both with equipment and advice. You are using good materials also, good wood, vinyl-ester resin, thats what we use to.

Looking forward to more pic's

Herman
www.offshoregroup.net
Old 01-30-2004, 07:28 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Great job Jon!!! That's one heck of a project....When is the anticipated splash date?
Old 01-30-2004, 07:46 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Craig it will go in when it goes in. I gave up looking for a spash date a LONG time ago I hope this summer.... If I was not going down to the Mid Atlantic deal then I would have the bulkhead in this week and maybe one stringer but I guess that will have to waite now tell next weekend maybe. From there who knows. Long road to go but I am told it will be worth is
Old 01-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Steve_H

i gotta hand it to you for taking on such a big repair.
i wouldnt know where to start

Old 01-31-2004, 07:27 AM
Registered

What type of wood did you use for the new stringers and bulk heads?
Old 01-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Registered

Sorry, I read back and see you mentioned OKUMA for the bulkhead. Are you using this for the stringers as well? Also are you planning on adding any additional bulkheads or reinforcement to the stringers? From a design stand point, it's interesting that Outerlimits typ. has bulkheads or reinforcements every 2'-3".
Old 02-08-2004, 07:45 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Well finally got to spend some time on the old girl this weekend. First thing I did yesterday was to glass the other side of the bulkhead. This did not take long, probably only a hour or so.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-35-bulkhead-glassing-small-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally posted by 32storm
Sorry, I read back and see you mentioned OKUMA for the bulkhead. Are you using this for the stringers as well? Also are you planning on adding any additional bulkheads or reinforcement to the stringers? From a design stand point, it's interesting that Outerlimits typ. has bulkheads or reinforcements every 2'-3".
I am using the Okuma/Okume on all the stringers and bulkheads. The slight addition in cost seemed worth it to me. I am not adding anything as far as stringers or bulkheads. I figure the boat lasted almost 25 years the way it was before and it was done incorrectly (IMO) the first time so now with the new stuff it should be good for a LONG time to come

I then took DB glass and cut it to shorter more manageable lengths. This also allowed me to go around all the corners easier. For each location I did three layers of glass.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-38-stringer-tabbing-small-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

This is a picture of what it looks like all tabbed into the boat. Going around the drain proved to be a LOT easier then I thought it would be. One of the nice things about DB glass is that it bends easy.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-36-stinger-tabbing-small-.jpg  
Old 02-08-2004, 08:09 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I used cabosile/cavosile (same thing as West System 401 first to trowel in a radius for the glass to go around. I mixed up a good paste and then used a bondo spreader to radius the turn. The Cabosile is great also for sticking down the glass and bonding.
Attached Thumbnails Stringer Replacement Formula 302-37-stringer-tabbing-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stringer Replacement Formula 302

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.