Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
800cfm Holley Jetting >

800cfm Holley Jetting

Notices

800cfm Holley Jetting

Old 01-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info Vmax. Do you ever take notice to a fuel smell in your motor oil? I am concerned a 50/50 shot may wash down the cylinders.

What year bravo are you running? I've heard tale that early bravos were in fact stronger than subsequent years. I like that idea since I run 1988 bravos and can say, they are indeed different inside than the standard bravo. I'm not pushing the hp you are but am not into the straightarm holeshots either.

Dave
Old 01-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Registered

Originally posted by blue thunder
Good info Vmax. Do you ever take notice to a fuel smell in your motor oil? I am concerned a 50/50 shot may wash down the cylinders.

What year bravo are you running? I've heard tale that early bravos were in fact stronger than subsequent years. I like that idea since I run 1988 bravos and can say, they are indeed different inside than the standard bravo. I'm not pushing the hp you are but am not into the straightarm holeshots either.

Dave
I had just bought the boat and had I believe is a 830CFM auto carb on it without the choke horn and annular booster. Nice looking carb but boat was tough to start and I had an enclosed bilge. I had an ignition issue of wrong ignition module for the blower application that the helpful OSO members here help me straighten out with a V-6 module. That set up was definitely washing down the cylinders. Not sure if it was the carb or the module contributing since she would flood often.

Only got to run my boat once on Thanksgiving Morning about a half hour since an oil change and the new module then put her away. I did check and smell the oil and it was not loaded with gas. Only did a few plug checks for ignition change that day maybe 20 minutes run time.

You can always put a cam on pump for a slower fuel burst if its an issue.

Drive is 89 with cresent nose cone. The early bravos had a cone clutch issue with only three grooves instead of five that let it slip during throttle chops on high HP motors. I don't know if mine was fixed but have not seen it yet. There is a merc bulletin say to use the 5 groove. I think it may have had a speedo pitot prior to nose cone. There is a rubber hose fastens to a plastic plug top plate forward of case. Hose goes through gimbal. Can't find set up in mercury manuals telles waht the hose was and can't see original case. I now have a POS pitot that I can't keep down with my speeds. Unerving running up in RPM guessing your speeds. Think it is mid to upper 80's given RPMs and prop pitch. Sure feels like it.
Darrell
Old 01-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Registered

Mine has the speedo tube fitting too. You probably have a hose with a screw in it behind the engine.

Sounds like it is time for a gps. I intalled a garmin 162 and it fills the bill quite well. Only problem so far is it consistently reads about 10mph low .

Dave