Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations! >

SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Notices

SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Old 01-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whitey - If it works well, let me know and I'd go have on the tool with you to use it, and you keep it when done. Let me know how it goes. Thanks. - Clint
Old 01-18-2004, 09:24 PM
Registered

Travis, That is good to hear about that cam. I now have one head done as far as the guide machining, I can now run a cam up to .550. What cam do would you use in my set up? Do you use the 1.6 rockers or are using the 1.5s? Oh and I am working myself up to the big cams

SPP I machined one head tonite and it is a easy process with the cutting tools. I have 2 sets of heads to do so I do not know how good the tools will hold up. I spent allllooottt of time checking and double checking and measuring. I figure I can use cam up to .550 but will use .500 as limit. The Crane spring kit is good to .600 so this looks like the route to go. Dwight
Old 01-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered

whitey.. i would use that crane roller 222/230 duration .509/.528 lift, ran it in my first vortec headed 383. It was a torque monster. I run 1.6 ratio rockers on intake and exhaust.

Travis
Old 01-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Registered

Travis what rocker ratio did you run on your older vortec engine? and what style rocker did you run? I have been thinking about sticking with the rail type but, I do not know if that is a good idea. Dwight
Old 01-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Registered

i had the heads machined for 7/16" screw in studs and guideplates. I didn't really wanna trust the "self aligning" rockers that these heads were made for. I ran the cran gold rockers 1.6 ratio on intake and exhuast. They are special ones from crane that are "narrow design" So the valve cover bolts fit between the roller rockers. If I had the money I would switch over to the T&D or jessel shaft rockers.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 988 Likes on 501 Posts

SmallPP, sorry i dont have any numbers for ya on the oil seals. You can actually from what i have read use the LT4 retainers and run up to a .488 lift cam on the stock vortecs with no mods. Ive been reading up on alot of vortec upgrades lately for my Yukon. Thinking of maybe making a 383 for it. But first need to get all my info straight before i jump into it

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

Default Thanks

Thank you everybody. If the guide cutter works well, let me know if you want 50% of the tool cost for me to borrow it for 1 day. Thanks again for all the words. I think I have to bolt the SBC short block in place, then assemble the heads and manifolds. I only have 22" deep (front-back) engine bay opening to put the engine in. It has to go in sideways and then rotate 90 and be bolted in and then built up. 17' Formula with built 350 should move OK I hope.
Old 01-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Registered

Let me see what kind of shape it is in once I have completed the first pair of heads. The head I have already done has turned out great. I spent alot of time measuring so at first it was a long process but by the last 2 guides I had a good system down. Dwight
Old 01-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Registered

Whitey - Did you look into Crane kit number 10309-1? It is supposed to be a drop in spring and retainer kit which allows almost 0.600" lift on a Vortec head with no head modifications (stock valve oil seal I guess). Any thoughts on this?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Registered

The spring is good for this and that is what I am going to use but, the retainer will hit the seal at about .480 lift. If you look at the foot notes on the site you will see what I mean. You do not have to change the spring seat just have to cut down the guide top to make the clearance for the retainer to seal.
Dwight

Quick Reply: SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.