Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations! >

SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Notices

SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Old 01-11-2004, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Hello all! This is my first writing. Seems to be an excellent board, with even better members. I have purchased Dennis M's book and gone through it several times. I currently have a 1983 17' Formula powered by a 4.3L GM/Merc V6 with factory 4 barrel QJ and 4" risers.. I think this is the smallest boat on the board, hence my log-in name. Runs excellent, and goes a needle over 50mph when fuel is less than 1/4 tank (weight). The engine is getting tired (smoke, oil pressure, rust, etc) and I have acquired a GM 350 Vortec (roller cam). I am wondering the best cam to use without changing all ther head stuff like springs, spring seats, retaingers, and valve seals. I think the Vortec heads (906's and 062's) are limited to about 0.480, and I would like the best top end performance, not worried about idle quality or low end. Most cams get pretty high lift numbers when the duration is anything greater than stock. I have an RPM air gap, electric fuel pump, and 750 Edelbrock carb to go with it all. I will also install through transom exhaust with this set up. The outdrive ratio is V6, I think 1.64 or something close. I don't think this motor was original in this boat. I see all others with 4 cylinders in them, and the speed of the boat is impressive, even with a V6. They call it a Formula 1. Dennis's bok is great, but stops shy of Vortec recommendations. Any words are appreciated, including thought on the boat. Thanks.

Clint ([email protected])

ps - Absolut-Tile, who is the current owner of your old Formula 242? I am still looking to buy a F-242 with twin 350's, or F-272 w/T-330/454's. Hope your 31' Formula with surface drives is working well for you (including electrical) Thanks.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

Sounds like you have all you need. Here is the cam I chose for my non vortec I'm putting together. It's a non roller though.Cam

I don't know who bought my 242, I sold it on consignment.

The 302 is running well, but for the transmission lines I'm replacing.

Here is a picture of a 350 I'm putting together for my Donzi Minx.
Attached Thumbnails SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!-jgriffeng1.jpg  
Old 01-12-2004, 01:31 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 988 Likes on 501 Posts

you're right about the cam limits on the Vortec motors......you can actually scqueeze a little higher out of it if you went with the corvette oil seals on the valves....they are smaller and would allow the valve to open more without crushing them but not much. Theres also machining for higher lift which at that point you may opt for some port work and you start getting close to just buying a used set of performace heads. Its a wicked circle aint it!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-13-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

The 6.2 has a 214/220 and has .452/.465. This is supposed to be a good cam in the 350.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Registered

Default 6.2 Cam

sounds a lot like the crane 2032 roller...
Old 01-13-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

It is the same profile as the Crane #104224 Dwight
Old 01-14-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

Default Thanks !!!

Excellent. I will do my homework on these cams! Also saw a Holley marine catalog pushing their Lunati cams. Have not seen much written about them here. Seems like Crane and Comp are by far the most popular. Thank you again for all of your input. This motor is going into a 17' Formula, so I hope it will move quite well.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Default Calling Wally - Corvette Seals Vortec Heads

Hello all. Excellent cam information. Wally, your statement of using Corvette oil selas on Vortec iron heads to shorten the total seal height makes great sense, and is the first I have heard of it. Would you or anybody else know what the part number for these seals are? If not the part number, would anybody know the year of Corvette which valve seals will fit the Vortec iron heads (062's)? I measured my lift clearance today and the retainer just kissed the valve oil seal at 0.480" with no spring. I used a dial indicator and magnetic base. If I can get a bit shorter seal, then I can run the next larger cam. If not, then the 6.2L Crane 2032 cam is sounding pretty good. Anybody know if stock Vortec springs are OK with the 6.2L cam? Maybe? Are the stock Vortec retainers strong enough for other springs? How about other retainers which may allow just a bit more travel before hitting the seals? I think they are out there, but don't know which ones. Sorry for the length. Thanks again for all the help!
Old 01-18-2004, 11:27 AM
Registered

SPP, I have the solution, I bought a guide cutter from comp cams and it cuts the top of the guide as well asthe diameter so you can then use .530 seals and also install a spring and retainer kit which is good to.600 from either crane or comp cams. At that point you can use whatever cam you want. I am going to do mine this afternoon so I will let you know how the cutting goes. On my 6.2 I am going to use a cam around 222/230 and around .509 to .530 with this set up. Dwight
Old 01-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Registered

when you guys gonna start running big cams

Whitey.. You'll like that cam, ran it in my first motor. Peaks out around 5250 rpm

Quick Reply: SBC Vortec Cam Recommendations!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.