Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Battery >

Best Battery

Notices

Best Battery

Old 01-13-2004, 03:38 PM
bowtie89

Default Best Battery

I want to get new batteries for my boat are the optimas good batteries?? and are these good prices?? If not anybody know anywhere cheaper
thanks
http://www.thebatterybarn.com/Batte...ima/Optima.html

Old 01-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure you will get differing opinions on this, but here is my advice:

Optimas (Yellow Tops) are great batteries, however, they are expensive and last about 5 years. Avoid the Red-tops like the plague. I have no comments about teh blue-tops.

Costco batteries/Sears Diehard are good batteries, are 1/2 the cost of an optima, and are good for 3-4 years.

Interstate batteries are great batteries, are expensive also, and last about 4 years.

Look at the trade-offs; longevity v. price.

In my application, I am running 4 batteries, so cost is a major concern. I also replace my batteries every 3 years, no matter what shape they are in. Wasteful? Perhaps, but better than a ruined weekend. Also the longevity of the Optimas is not great enough for me to justify the extra cost (1-2 more years for twice the price). Also Optimas use different sized battery boxes.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Registered

I agree with Spectra32,
The Optima is a nice battery, but expensive.
I use Interstate when I can get them on sale, otherwise I use the Sears DieHard Marine which seem to work well.
They last a long time as long as you put them on battery maintainers during the off season.
Old 01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been using red top Optimas for years. They work excellent for starting batteries only. You can't use them for deep cycle apps. And yes that is a good price, but after you pay shipping, you probably could find one locally for the same price.

Steve
Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In past years, I've had nothing but trouble with Exides. Have had better luck with the Die Hards, although I have more recently started using Crowns with no problems. Have heard good things about the Optima, but they are expensive.
Old 01-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I am an Interstate guy. I really like the way they support motorsports and I feel good spending my $$ with them

Plus they have a fantastic product
Old 01-14-2004, 05:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sam's Club has a major brand of orbital type marine batter for $129. I didn't notice if it was starting or deep cycle.

I usually buy the cheap ones every two years myself but they do seem to last longer now that the kids remermber to turn off the lights.

F
Old 01-14-2004, 01:35 PM
ursus

I also have had problems with exides, but perhaps because I didn't maintain them well in the off season, Trying an Energizer marine from wally mart currently and no problems yet, only one season tho.

If you have multiple batteries try to stagger when you replace them eg I replace one of the 2 batteries every 2 years so each battery is replaced every 4 years and I always have one battery that has only one or 2 seasons on it.

Old 01-14-2004, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walmart, replace them every other year.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:27 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

am an Interstate guy. I really like the way they support motorsports and I feel good spending my $$ with them

Interstate owns Optima

Trying an Energizer marine from wally mart currently and no problems yet

I think Exide owns the energizer label

Steve H

Quick Reply: Best Battery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.