Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
drew marine stabilizer >

drew marine stabilizer

Notices

drew marine stabilizer

Old 01-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input jafo. I have a Nova 23 with a single BB. Never had the pleasure of docking {or driving} a boat with twins, but expect there's more steering wheel movement needed when maneuvering with a single. I'm wondering if the damper action of the Drew will slow the single I/O steering down when attempting docking while at idle rpm's.

Can anyone out there give some feed back on this ??

Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dampening action of the stabilizer is not noticeable when docking.
You rarely if ever turn the wheel out of the neutral position when docking a twin; the boat is manuevered with the shifters. It is much easier than a single-engine boat, and once you experience this (and the performance/sound rush) you will never own a single again.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:40 AM
Registered

On the Formula, which is a '98 merc 502mag mpi, at idle the stock steering pump can't quite overcome the resistance quickly. What I mean is without the stabilizer you could very quickly turn the wheel lock to lock, change direction quickly and feel no resistance, just like in a car with the engine running. With the stabilizer at idle any quick steering inputs and you will feel a resistance, like the powersteering quit for a second, then its fine, its nothing overwhelming but you will have to plan for it. In other words you can't spin the wheel around quickly around the docks...you have to be more deliberate while docking. I called Drew and they had me contact the manufacturer who said it shouldn't have the resistance but never was able to work it out and the owner has just learned to deal with it. I wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer...its a well known automotive name in the aftermarket for shocks and it is basically a steering stabilizer used for offroad. Around 1000rpms its a non-issue and steering is the same as stock. Might be this one was out of calibration, but I think with efi, idle speed the pump isn't turning enough to overcome the stabilizer's resistance. I wonder if anyone else has experienced the same on a single merc efi install.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:55 AM
Registered

Thanks Chase910. Sounds like you're saying that docking should not be too much of an issue...basically plan ahead, go slow, take a little more time and be aware of the resistance ahead of time?? Sometimes docking can be "embarrassing" enough without resistance

jafo, don't rub it in . Would like to step up to a twin some time in the future. It'll be a few seasons out though.

Thanks for the info guys...I appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2004, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kidnova, I have a good freind with a efi 502 in a 25' Warlock and man alive what a diffrence at WOT and they are right the wheel cant be spun fast but there really is no need to spin it fromm lock to lock FAST. Rag's
Old 01-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Registered

Hey rags how ya doing!! Agreed, I can't think of a need to spin lock to lock quick either. Just want to be able to get to the dock and trailer without adding dock rash to the graphics.

Told my bro about the price on the Nova for sale. Said it sounded like a decent price for a '95 in good condition. But says Washington is a minor road trip to go for a sea trial. Actually I think that boat would probably bring a few more $ in the north east. Appreciate the info on it though.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I love mine. Like traviss said, saved my azz more than once when my power steering failed (lost the belt twice at loto.... got a new one after the second incicent).

Did not change the slow speed steering ability at all. Tightened up the steering at all speeds. Last year I cracked my gimal ring and the stabilizer gave me enough stability to get back to the trailer.

'Foul