Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim tab mounting position? >

Trim tab mounting position?

Notices

Trim tab mounting position?

Old 01-25-2004, 03:05 AM
dma251

Default Trim tab mounting position?

I am installing a set of 16x12 k-planes on my 20 foot arriva, and I am wondering which is the best location - as low on the bottom of the vee and tight to the outdrive as possible (clearance will allow), or a little higher towards the upper edges of the planing area of the transom?

Any ideas?

Old 01-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tight to the outdrive as possible, follow the directions for the height, about 3/4" from the bottom I believe.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about K-Planes, but you can go to the Bennett Tab website and they actually have the complete install instructions for their tabs on there. I used it when I installed a set of 12x12's on a 230SX Stingray a few years ago. It could give you some idea of placement...If I remember correctly the site is www.bennetttrimtabs.com or something like that...Good luck.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen k planes mounted several ways... some people mount them app. 5/8ths of an inch from the bottom of the transom, 3 to 4 inches from the outside of the hull, with the bottom of the k plane parallel with the deadrise of the bottom. Then I've seen k planes mounted with the bottom parallel with the waterline, app. 3 to 4 inches from the outside of the hull. with this type of mounting only the outside edge of the k plane comes close to the bottom of the deadrise. The theory is if you have a steep deadrise...and the bottom of the k plane is mounted parallell with the bottom of the hull..... the k- plane when extended swings "outboard" of the hull.... but if mounted parallel to the water... the k plane swings only up and down and not any sidways. On a twenty foot boat I would be inclined to mount them parallel with the bottom . Those are the same size k planes I had on my boat... but it was 40 foot... those seem quite large for a twenty footer. Good luck.

Last edited by Reed Jensen; 01-25-2004 at 09:22 PM.