Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
trailer??? "bunk" >

trailer??? "bunk"

Notices

trailer??? "bunk"

Old 01-25-2004, 04:20 PM
bowtie89

Default trailer??? "bunk"

I have a ez loader trailer that has black rollers and they are marking up the bottom of my boat. They are starting to get rusty and I don't want to replace them!!
Does anyone know how I can convert it to a bunk trailer it doesn't look that hard!! The boat is 20 feet long f206 so its not a very big boat!! I have seen the parts and it looks easy I am just not sure what to buy!!! anyone know where to start??? thanks, Harry

Old 01-25-2004, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bunks are the ONLY way to support a performance hull. It sounds like you have a "Tilt-Loader" type. You might want to "off" that to someone who has a "weekender" type rig for easy on-off use and get a real supporting trailer. --- Jer
Old 01-26-2004, 05:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It it's a break frame trailer it cannot be converted easily. If not, 2 long sets of bunks, two shorter sets, the supports for them and some attaching hardware is all you need. Look as some bunk style trailers to get an idea of what and where you need to mount stuff first, then meadure up you hull for proper placement of the bunks, and have at it!

Scott B
Old 01-27-2004, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bunks

Any trailer manufacturer or parts supplier can get you the bunk bounts for the vertical main bunks. You can use 2ea 2x12 PT boards bolted together on ea side to get you by. use the mounts on your existing crossmembers with U-bolts and through bolt the bunks. Be sure to cut the top of bunks to match the dead rise of your hull.

A couple of 2x6 x8' front center bunks will facilitate loading and provide forward hull support.

Example attached for reference
Attached Thumbnails trailer??? "bunk"-led-lights.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 05:12 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Bill
Those LED taillights?
They look better and dont hang below the frame rails. Know were to get them?

Thanks

Dan
Old 01-28-2004, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan, LED,s can be bought at any truck parts dealer. You really get what you pay for. the cheaper ones dont have as many LED,s in them. The good ones will have an unlimited warranty. My trailer has them all around, they hold up well. www.southfloridatrailers.com
Attached Thumbnails trailer??? "bunk"-sft-nav.jpg  
Old 01-28-2004, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED's

MFB you are correct. Some have very few lights in them.

South FL trailers should also have them.

The one's in the photo are made by PETERSON from the 'Pirahna' line. These are a dedicated marine light with a 100,000 hour continous use rating. Peterson also does truck lights. typical truck stop lights vary in quality.

The Peterson Pirahna's are about double in OEM supplier cost than the ones you typically see at boaters world, etc.
You can order them from Peterson direct, through us or just about any trailer manufacturer or pick up at a local parts supplier who carrys Peterson lights (saves the shipping cost).

Be shure to order the mount if you like the 3" oval in the photo. It is a seperate piece but eases mounting and cleans up the look.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are the small snap in side yellow and red marker lites available in LED also?
Old 01-29-2004, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive converted a roller to a bunk trailer with good results. The rollers came off and the bunks bolted to the square tubing. It took some time but after adjusting the height the boards the boat set lower by 3 inches and loaded great ! Even that big cooler was easier to load as well as the boat! greg
Old 01-29-2004, 06:12 AM
bowtie89

Default thank you

Thanks guys for your help I have a pretty good Idea of what I am going to do! The only thing is I can't do a damn thing because 10 inches of snow got dropped on us last night!!! ugh I hate winter on long Island!!!! I will take some pictures when done!

Quick Reply: trailer??? "bunk"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.