Trailer Brakes >

Trailer Brakes

Notices

Trailer Brakes

Old 01-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Brakes

I have a 2003 MYCO with electric over hydraulic brakes. When hooked up to the truck, the digital read out on the controller inside the truck reads "not Connected".

It has done this ever since I bought the trailer new, but all the lights and brakes still worked so I never worried about it.

Now I can't get the brakes to work. When I hit the brakes the hydrailc pump on the trailer makes noise, but the brakes do not move.

I Know the controller is not the problem because it works on another trailer that I have.

Any suggestions before I call MYCO???
Old 01-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Registered

If you hear the hydraulic pump on the trailer maybe the controller needs to be adjusted. Maybe the sensitivity is turned way down. Also some controllers only work with single axle brakes so maybe the electric over hydraulic needs more juice.
I wonder if you have a ground problem.
Old 01-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Registered

I guess I will call MYCO and see what they suggest. Thanks for the suggestions, I have already tryed all the adjustments on the controller.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:09 PM
seltzer

The first time i towed my boat the brakes locked up and caused a heck of a mess. I jacked the trailer up, pulled the drum off and pitched the brakes over the guard-rail. I haven't looked back since. I keep the bearings greased and no problems. 3 years. oh yeah, dont follow too close

Old 01-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This braking system is fabulous when working correctly, but a pain in the ass when not. I have found very few people are knowledgeable about them.

What is your tow vehicle and what brand/model of controller are you using?

What is the brand of the braking unit on the trailer?

Make sure the controller is compatible with the braking unit. I had problems when I came out to California to pick up my 382 on an Eagle trailer with electric over hydraulic. Everything worked on my brother-in-laws 2002 Chevrolet duallie, but when I traded back to my 1994 Chevrolet duallie in Colorado, the trailer brakes did not work. After hours of frustration trying to figure this out (a local truck accessory/installer could not figure it out either), a call to Eagle determined the controller in my '94 was not a Teconcha "Voyager" and therefore would not work with the Teconcha trailer brakes. After purchase and installation of the correct brand/model, the brakes still did not work. I also needed to wire a direct power feed to the coupler as the 94 was not so equipped (the newer trucks are already wired with this feature).

You may have blown a fuse in either the direct power feed or more likely the resistance circuit to the pump.

Also check your ground circuit to look for a short or break somewhere in both the truck harness and trailer harness.

I would also check in the controller manual or with the manufacturer for a troubleshooting guide ... it should give you reasons for a "not connected" status. I'll try to find my manual if your controller is the same brand and model.

Tell Jeffrey I said hello, and let us know what you find out!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Registered

You have some good points. The controller does work on my other trailer, so maybe it is a compatability problem.

The controller I have now is a Tekonsha Prodigy. It is supposed to be their top of the line controller. It reads out how much braking force is being applied, and adjust the braking force in relation to how hard you are braking on the tow vehicle.

In theory it should be better, but the simple one I had before might be the way to go. I think I will try another controller and see if it fixes the problem. If that does not work I will go from there.

One thing that was interesting is when i changed the coupler on the trailer, the MYCO was wired different than the other trailers I have done. I wired it the way the coupler said to and nothing worked. I then changed it to the way the MYCO was wired and everything works now, except the brakes.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Havasu Cig; 01-27-2004 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes

The prodigy is an awesome controller.
I also use this unit on electric over hyd disk.

Contact MYCO. They are great at assisting with these situations.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Registered

Thanks again everybody for the help.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Brakes

A friend of mine parked his boat trailer and unhooked everything with the exception of the break away cable and drove off. Now the trailer breaks are locked. Anyone have info on releasing the emergency break away cable so the trailer will again work properly?

Thanks,

Neil
Old 05-21-2004, 09:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Brakes

Mark,

The pin or lever is still in the trailer and when it was pulled up and out a tab slipped in under it and will now not allow the lever or pin to drop back down. We tried to move the tab back out of the way with a screwdriver. No luck.

Thought there must be an easy way to do this.

Thanks for responding,

Neil

Quick Reply: Trailer Brakes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.