Getting rid of silent choice? >

Getting rid of silent choice?

Notices

Getting rid of silent choice?

Old 01-27-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Getting rid of silent choice?

I'm thinking of getting rid of my silent choice and getting a pair of inline-HPI silencers. How difficult is it to take the silent choice out and what other things do I need to do to make the change?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

You gotta get that Y pipe out of there. Some people say that you can do it with out pulling the engine, but must people will just pull it to make the job easier. Merc makes a simple block off plate to close the hole. You'll proably need some longer exhaust hose to replace the existing drops/valves that are in there.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:23 PM
Registered

Cord,

Do you have any opinion on whether I should do this? I know it would reduce the weight a little but will I be happy with the sound? I know that the laws are getting more strict but I sure do like to hear it at WOT!

So you are saying I've gotta pull the motor?
Old 01-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Personally, I'd plan on pulling the engine. Some people can get lucky by only lifting it up a little. There have been problems with reversion and the silent choice systems. Taking it off would solve those. Then again, it's nice to be totally quiet at times. Don't foget the DNR is really really strict on the noise enforcement. With silent choice you will be quiet, but they'll check and make you turn it off for the test. Of course, you could rig in a switch to make sure the system is "full time" for the stop.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:58 PM
jrz
Registered

Many muffler systems work better with the additional benefits of the stock bullhorn, ie: lower backpressure. CMI can modify the stock Merc Hi Perf tails to gain these benefits without shortening any of the internal jacketed area.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
I wouldnt do it unless your cam has been changed and your sure that you have reversion. I say this because somedays it sure is nice to go silent in the channels, especially on Madison lakes were I got a ticket for loud exhaust ($138 clams as flinstone would say it) Just remember that silent choice is illegal in wisc. so dont switch it in front of the boys. Greg
Old 01-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered

Hey Greg,
I'm all too familiar with the noise violations as I've had one of those myself up here in Madison. I just don't want to get ticketed again and don't like the looks of a clamp-on muffler.

So...how about putting an in-line muffler before the silent choice...is that too much back pressure?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cmi i think has an "H" pipe crossover that may fit in between the cutouts and transom. It increases the horsepower and quiets it down. Teague 450s are nice and they work. Did you cam it? greg