Fender rack / holder / storage >

Fender rack / holder / storage

Notices

Fender rack / holder / storage

Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender rack / holder / storage

Has anyone bought or built a system to store fenders either in the engine compartment, on the underside of the deck lid or elsewhere? I am dying to start another fabrication project and am looking for ideas (as I look at the 7 inches of snow in my backyard). Any pics appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the mesh bags that you can get from West marine screwed them through the bulk head in front of my motors works great....kind of a pain to get them out in a hurry but they are out of sight....
Old 02-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They make these racks you can mount to your bow rail. LOL I always wondered how stupid they would look on a swim platform
Old 02-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

I took the wire baskets that you would normally see mounted on bow rail of a cruiser, modified them and installed on bulkhead in engine compartment. I have them set-up so quick removable, as I didn't want to loose the good access I had to front of engines in engine compartment. The only pain is having to screw around raising engine hatch and securing lines in baskets.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 AM
Registered

Yeah- I like the "rocket launcher" look of the fenders rack on the life line or bow rail. Or, I could just take the navigator's bolster out and replace it with a fender cabinet . . . would look like the launchers they used in WW 2 for anti-submarine warfare. I like the rack in the engine compartment program. Any pics? Any horror stories about fender whips getting caught up in the accessory belt?
Old 02-04-2004, 12:00 PM
VP
Registered

well -- i went out and bought some of that white rubber coated shelving that you put in your home (about $4 or $5 for a 4ft piece i think) -- i turned it so the actual shelving surface is vertical, with short bend of the shelving facing up - i mounted the back edge (now the bottom edge) of the shelving to the inside of one of the stringers in the engine compartment, running the length of the engine compartment - i oriented the short bend so it faced toward the outside of the boat --- i the thing using little stainless steel, one hole cable clamps - i also attached each end of the shelving as near to the top edge as possible so it was stiff in place (i ran the shelf from the front engine compartment bulkhead to the transom) - you may have to get creative to attach something at each end due to the angles involved.

---- The result is, I simply throw my fenders in behind the shelving -- it works great - it is light weight so no speed loss - it is smooth and white rubber coated, so it looks good and there is no corrosion, and you can see thru it to see which size fender to grab -- i have short lines already tied onto my fenders - but there is nothing there to get caught on so it works slick -- holds my 5 fenders with room for one or two more
Old 02-04-2004, 06:00 PM
Donzi33ZX
Gold Member

I put stainless steel eyelets in the wall and bulkhead of the engine compartment and bungy them in place.
Bryan
Old 02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just leave mine hanging over the sides of the boat.
Always ready to bumper up!

I have seen several take the rail mount frames and mount them to the under sides of the hatch. But those are big boats with plenty of clearance. Just have to watch the ropes so they don't get caught in the belts.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-04-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Registered

I like that whole bungy idea- you can strap the fender down and trap the whip at the same time. Any problems with the fenders jumping out?