Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Merc Oil Filter Study >

Merc Oil Filter Study

Notices

Merc Oil Filter Study

Old 02-07-2004, 10:30 PM
Grease

Thumbs up Merc Oil Filter Study

I saw some posts here earlier about Merc oil filters. I am a pleasure boater with a Merc I/O. However, our filters are the same that many of you use.

I took 12 filters apart and analyzed them -- complete with pore size and flow measurements.

These filters map to the venerable AC Delco PF1218.

I have not tested the Merc Racing long version.

Coming soon will add the following filters:

Donaldson
Fleetguard
Amsoil
Mobil 1

Enjoy! Let me know what you think. Since I can't post a URL until 10 posts, you can cut off the Z on the front of this one.

Zhttp://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/mercfilters/merc.htm

Grease

Old 02-07-2004, 10:47 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Excellent info! Wouldn't by chance have any data on Wix 51222R ?
Old 02-08-2004, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice work!!

we use K&N
Old 02-08-2004, 10:39 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Merc Oil Filter Study

Great info, thanks!
Since I have a little more than 10 post, I can post the URL:

http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/...lters/merc.htm
Old 02-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Ric232

It looks like the "ratings" consider flow but not filtration. Am I missing something ?? Seems like the Merc filter has very good flow considering its small pore size (= good filtration).

Old 02-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Grease

Originally posted by Bob
Excellent info! Wouldn't by chance have any data on Wix 51222R ?
I haven't had the pleasure of dissecting a WIX racing yet. I hope to add it to the list.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Grease

Originally posted by audacity
nice work!!

we use K&N
Thanks. In my opinion in this application, the K&N is a great filter. It has smaller pore size than the Merc, yet it has more media, hence more flow. I wouldn't loose sleep over using a WIX, Hastings, or Baldwin in a boat. I would be a little concerned over the AC or PureOne in a boat regarding flow -- but the filtration is excellent. They may flow enough once the oil is hot, but may be in by-pass mode longer than the others.

I may even use a by-pass filter in addition to a good flowing filter. That way you get the benefit of both worlds.

We are going to test some synthetic filters from Donaldson, Fleetguard, and Mobil 1 soon.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:22 PM
Grease

Originally posted by Ric232
It looks like the "ratings" consider flow but not filtration. Am I missing something ?? Seems like the Merc filter has very good flow considering its small pore size (= good filtration).
I made up my own rating system. They do consider flow and pore size. You can modify it to suit your emphasis (weighting system) regarding the different characteristics and come up with your own winner.

The Merc has great flow but has the largest pore size. I also wonder if the large pore size has to do with the concern if water gets in the oil it can swell the pores.

I'm sure many of you use the large canister Merc racing. I'll have to get that one and test is also. I'm assuming that the media is the same as the small canister Merc, but you never know until test time.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that is good info. Interests me because I just blocked off my bypass valves in the remote filter pad. Would be nice to know the different bypass pressures of these filters.

Looking forward to the synthetic media filter testing!

Dave
Old 02-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Grease

Originally posted by blue thunder
Would be nice to know the different bypass pressures of these filters. Dave
None of these filters have bypass valves. That is part of the engine. GM didn't want to rely on the filter to do the bypass, so the engine does that function. Physically, I'm not sure where the bypass is located.

Grease

Quick Reply: Merc Oil Filter Study

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.