Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
330 on steroids? >

330 on steroids?

Notices

330 on steroids?

Old 02-12-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy, if that aint the truth. Sometimes you get any with cutting corners and cheap parts and sometimes not. More often not.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:12 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

SuperV and I are running the same combination no problems to date I'm even running Hyperutectic pistons almost 300 hours no problems ......at least with parts I had an ugly oil leak....
Old 02-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I hurt my motor (not sure yet what happened, simply quit one day) it ran like a raped ape! Great increase over stock. I saw about a 6 mph increase in my old 24 Sport (Outlaw hull).
Old 02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Crazyhorse
Paradigm Shift, thanks for posting the information. By the way, you just made my day. Thanks.
You a very welcome. Well that was easy. I thought these were some great combos so I kind of archived them for later use. Hard part is remembering where you saved EM at usually. I have CRS. I lurk more than I post but I do pay attention sometimes.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Registered

The one thing I forgot to mention about these engines is that all of them got ARP rod bolts installed while the rods were reconditioned. Accurate machining is a big requirement for a good running engine.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Registered

Thanx for all the input. I have found all the parts for around $1200 and machine work for $400(x2 for twins) I own a mechanical shop so Im calling in favours and my labour is free. The only thing is exhaust manifolds. Mine are stock iron center risers. Will it make such a huge difference in power with a 450 hp engine to warrant paying for two sets. I havn't had much luck finding Gills or anything under $800 per set. I guess Im a tight wad but if it makes that much difference in waking up the engines I will spring for them. I bet there are a lot of you guys out there that shake your head and smile knowing that your tune up on your big inch blower engines costs as much as my engine build up. Andy...
Old 02-14-2004, 11:45 AM
Registered

When I first made all those changes in 90 including bottom end, heads, cam, intake, carb, I kept the stock exhaust. There was inprovement but when I switched to the gils a year later I gained 400 rpm on the top end. I was amazed. Dont scrimp on any valve train components, thats where Ive had most of my troubles.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Registered

I would have expected more for machine work as there's quite a bit of set-up time involved for block machining. My machine shop bill for my 509 engines will be about 1400 and that didn't include a bore job because I'm reusing the JE pistons. I also assemble my own stuff so there's no assembly charges.
My blower motors don't cost any more to tune up than your naturally aspirated engines. The biggest difference is in the expense involved when a sick blower motor gives up (usually involving a rather large picture window in one or both sides of the block) as opposed to an ailing N.A. motor, which usually gives you an indication it's in need of attention. Those picture windows aren't necessarily exclusive to supercharged engines though, as Formula 31 can tell you. he lost one due to a parts failure last summer.

Last edited by Crazyhorse; 02-14-2004 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:31 PM
Registered

Getting rid of the center rise manifolds is more important for leaks rather than performance. I lost two engines to riser leaks with that junk. I've read good things about revolution marines exhaust at $900/set. Think this system will eliminate the water leakage problem and give a boost to performance.

BT
Old 02-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Registered

Howdy Blue Thunder. Long time no see. How's the water in Chesapeke Bay? Here in west Michigan it's a bit on the hard side.

Quick Reply: 330 on steroids?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.