New 496 aluminum heads

Notices

New 496 aluminum heads

Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ray,

Your current web page says "BCK 106 kit is capable of 550+ HP when used with headers on a reprogrammed Mercury 496HO or MAG ECM, a reprogrammed GM computer or reprogrammed MEF14 marine ECM."

Should/will the web page be updated to read 620hp?

The HO600 engine dyno test data on your web site says 607hp. Is that the engine to which you are refering and will the new 620hp dyno test data be posted there?

Your current web page says "BP 106 High lift / big duration camshaft ***(must only be used with forged aftermarket pistons with deep valve relief)." There is no description on the web site as to what goes into the HO600 engine only the HO600 dyno sheet which header references forged crank, BP106 cam and forged pistons. What else is upgraded in the 496CI HO600 besides the BCK106 kit components to support and help create the 620 hp? What make and model exhaust is used to make the 620 hp and was the exhaust mixed with the sea water in the risers for this test?

Was the 620hp generated using 87 octane?

Originally Posted by Raylar
Jimv:

Understand you may have reworked a set of iron heads for more flow, but our heads and a much smaller cam make with our 106 kit just over 620HP at 5200rpms and a lot more midrange torque from 3500rpm to 4200rpms on a 496.
This is where the big blocks will see much better hours of reliable usage under 5400rpms and the big cams that move peakpower on these motors up to 5700rpms are a lot more prone to reversion with the larger durations and the idles tend to get a little rough and require more than 650 rpms to stay lit which is hard on Bravo drives when shifting.
Just my opinion, but I say make big power at lower rpms with more torque and you have a better recreational performance marine engine, racing, thats another animal.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

One additional question added to preceeding post, does the HO600 engine use a standard stroke crank or a stroker crank like your R-CS4340?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ray?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink What's the real question here & Motivation!

Rage:

I am not sure of your motivation here for all these questions that all of our existing clients and shops know very well. Are you interested in buying our engines or systems or are you just using this forum post to question my 496 engine knowledge, expierence or track record.
It seems as though you are enough of a 496 engine expert from your posts, that you certainly don't need my input!

Seems, from your many posts you are happy with your particular way of modifiying your own single 496 engine and for your apparent success I commend you. I have given several answers to your previous questions and posts and I hope you have benefited from them. I am not however going to reply to you particular posts which seem condescending in nature and of no benefit to fellow OSO'ers who have genuine needs and information from Raylar. I am also certainly not going to give my expensive R&D and years of expierence to a 496 engine expert who has no intention of using our products or who may be in form a competitor!
We share all our facts, results and specifications with all our great customers and fellow OSO'ers who have need for our products and engines. Our data and results are genuine, reliable and field proven with hundreds of kits and many Raylar prepared engines in service today.
If any of our prospective, interested or existing customers need addtional information or clarification, please contact me here on OSO or at our toll free number (866) 496-818 at your convienence.

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar Engine
Old 09-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ray,

On the contrary. I am in the process of planning my next upgrade. That will include forged pistons since from primarily your helpful posts have informed me that I am likely on the ragged edge with the current stock pistons especially since I cut the intake valve relief deeper to allow appropriate clearance with first cam upgrade. I believe you recently advised that the pistons weak link is in that area.

With the additional valve clearance that the forged pistons provide and better rods I am considering your BP106 cam. Additionally as you have reported the stock 496HO intake even when massaged is a bottleneck consequently I am considering your Cool Cap intake. I recently requested and received your price for that item to include powder coat paint option pricing. Another option being considered would be to use your forged stroker crank instead of or in addition to your intake for increrased hp.

Consequently my current posts/inquirys. I am merely trying to clearly understand your current published performance information as relates to presence or not of these components.

If I was too blunt in my questions or information posts, no offense was intended and I appologize. Others have noted that this is a short coming of mine.

You remain the undisputed expert on the 496 in my mind.

Best Regards,

Bill

Rage:

I am not sure of your motivation here for all these questions that all of our existing clients and shops know very well. Are you interested in buying our engines or systems or are you just using this forum post to question my 496 engine knowledge, expierence or track record.
It seems as though you are enough of a 496 engine expert from your posts, that you certainly don't need my input!

Seems, from your many posts you are happy with your particular way of mdifiying your own single 496 engine and for your apparent success I commend you. I have given several answers to your previous questions and posts and I hope you have benefited from them. I am not however going to reply to you particular posts which seem condescending in nature and of no benefit to fellow OSO'ers who have genuine needs and information from Raylar. I am also certainly not going to give my expensive R&D and years of expierence to a 496 engine expert who has no intention of using our products or who may be in form a competitor!
We share all our facts, results and specifications with all our great customers and fellow OSO'ers who have need for our products and engines. Our data and results are genuine, reliable and field proven with hundreds of kits and many Raylar prepared engines in service today.
If any of our prospective, interested or existing customers need addtional information or clarification, please contact me here on OSO or at our toll free number (866) 496-818 at your convienence.

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar Engine
Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ray,

On the contrary. I am in the process of planning my next upgrade. That will include forged pistons since from primarily your helpful posts have informed me that I am likely on the ragged edge with the current stock pistons especially since I cut the intake valve relief deeper to allow appropriate clearance with first cam upgrade. I believe you recently advised that the pistons weak link is in that area.

With the additional valve clearance that the forged pistons provide and better rods I am considering your BP106 cam. Additionally as you have reported the stock 496HO intake even when massaged is a bottleneck consequently I am considering your Cool Cap intake. I recently requested and received your price for that item to include powder coat paint option pricing. Another option being considered would be to use your forged stroker crank instead of or in addition to your intake for increrased hp.

Consequently my current posts/inquirys. I am merely trying to clearly understand your current published performance information as relates to presence or not of these components.

If I was too blunt in my questions or information posts, no offense was intended and I appologize. Others have noted that this is a short coming of mine.

You remain the undisputed expert on the 496 in my mind.

Best Regards,

Bill

Rage:

Seems, from your many posts you are happy with your particular way of mdifiying your own single 496 engine and for your apparent success I commend you. I have given several answers to your previous questions and posts and I hope you have benefited from them. I am not however going to reply to you particular posts which seem condescending in nature and of no benefit to fellow OSO'ers who have genuine needs and information from Raylar. I am also certainly not going to give my expensive R&D and years of expierence to a 496 engine expert who has no intention of using our products or who may be in form a competitor!

Best Regards,

Ray @ Raylar Engine
Old 09-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Bill, No offense taken. I am glad to think you might be considering our parts for future upgrades, you won't be dissapointed. And as I have always shared my knowledge i try and be as correct and accurate as possible.
As for the current dyno report on the website on ou earlier HO600, the figures are corrected and we used 89 octane fuel. we have now made a few tweeks to the HO600-BP106 cam, changes to the required ECM reprogramm and with the needed addtion of our new larger throttle body and a set of CMI sportubes or Dana Flowtorque header manifolds with #5 risers, we have made 618-622 hp on several pulls with water in the exhaust. We are just so busy most of the time we don't have enough time to consantly upgrade the website sheets.
As for the internals in our HO600 they consist of our new forged steel crankshaft, forged H-beam billet rods and our special Raylar/Mahle forged pistons. The HO600 does not use our 111.5 special stroker crank but has the standard 111mm stroke. The 20 or so cubic inches this stroker crank and piston combination achieve in a .030" overbore produce about 30HP addtional and set this combination right at about 650HP!

Hope this clarifies your questions.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Talking

Ray,
My "original" version of your HO600 with Bassett headers produced a 12.1 mph GPS speed increase. This was despite adding Gibson Bullet mufflers and upgrading from the Bravo 1X drive to the stronger but horsepower robbing XR drive. If it takes approximately 15 HP to gain one MPH, I increased 182 HP to around 607 HP before losses for mufflers and drive.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ray,

It certainly does. Thanks.

I am interested in a few more details regarding your stroker crank. Can you please advise the precise stroke of the crank and the journal diameter to the nearest 0.001" or 0.02 mm? Are these in stock?

I currently have the #4 Dana risers. Should I take it that the #5 risers would be preferable in the 600+ hp plus range?

What size is your new throttle body that was used to generate the 618 - 622hp numbers from your HP600?

Best Regards,

Bill

Bill, No offense taken. I am glad to think you might be considering our parts for future upgrades, you won't be dissapointed. And as I have always shared my knowledge i try and be as correct and accurate as possible.
As for the current dyno report on the website on ou earlier HO600, the figures are corrected and we used 89 octane fuel. we have now made a few tweeks to the HO600-BP106 cam, changes to the required ECM reprogramm and with the needed addtion of our new larger throttle body and a set of CMI sportubes or Dana Flowtorque header manifolds with #5 risers, we have made 618-622 hp on several pulls with water in the exhaust. We are just so busy most of the time we don't have enough time to consantly upgrade the website sheets.
As for the internals in our HO600 they consist of our new forged steel crankshaft, forged H-beam billet rods and our special Raylar/Mahle forged pistons. The HO600 does not use our 111.5 special stroker crank but has the standard 111mm stroke. The 20 or so cubic inches this stroker crank and piston combination achieve in a .030" overbore produce about 30HP addtional and set this combination right at about 650HP!

Hope this clarifies your questions.

Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rage,
When you buy a Coke, you don't get the rights to the secret receipe. Hasn't Ray provided enough specifics on the basic Raylar 496 mod's/changes for you to make a buying decision based on performance? Some of their satisified customers have also posted endorsements for the Raylar combination. Very few engine buiders would even post this much confidential info on a website.
If your questions are cost related, maybe you could ask if you would need new Raylar rods and Raylar pistions to go with the Raylar stroker crank.

Quick Reply: New 496 aluminum heads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.