Best switchable tips... >

Best switchable tips...

Notices

Best switchable tips...

Old 02-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best switchable tips...

I have been searching for " inside the hull " switchable tips,, eddie marine, rex marine, teague,, they all contradict themeselves about which one is better,,

Don't get the un-reliable electric actuator types,, there is a reason merc. has been using air actuated....

Don't get the un-reliable air-actuated,, get the new electric activated...

anywho,, which ones muffle the best and which system is better,, air or elec... I see most say between 9 and 14 DB drop..
Old 02-26-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As a three year user of Teague's I would vote for them. Just be sure if you are not running stock exhaust there is room. They will fit with Lightnings but you would need the divorced collectors. They really take the bite out of the exhaust note.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:26 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

I've been bird-dogging this same question Chris. Each have their pro & cons much like we have favorite colors.

Guys correct me if i'm wrong on any of my findings:

My problem with the Teagues are you have to drill your transom holes out to 5'' vice 4''. Kinda makes that change permanent.

The Shotgun III silencers utilize a spring that exhaust gas' overcome and open in the 3-3500rpm range. Off throttle always off, no choices. They are bolt on externally, cheap and easy to install. But again, no choice and by some accounts don't get REALLY quiet.

Pneumatics especially if the actuator is on the outside, require a pump and more awefully, more holes drilled in the transom to accomodate the air lines. Of course there are internal mounted as well but you've still got to add another gizmo toyour engine compartment in the form of a pump, wires, hoses, weight. They're rather expensive too.

My personal favorites and inexpensive, are the IMCO Sound Advantage's. Not only are they economical, but you can "progressively" open or close the diverters. Makes it kinda neat to mess with a crowd at a waterside restaurant/cafe. Plus failure doesn't mean all open or closed. It runs off one actuator with a cross bar to the other side.

Corsa's are just plain over priced, but otherwise fine.

BTW, the March issue of Family & performance Boating Magazine has both an article on diverter installs AND a comparison of the major diverters/mufflers out there. I suggest if you can get a hold of the mag, read it and then go with your gut feeling and your diverter budget...
Old 02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Which are the tips that automatically open under more power and then close at idling speeds? Do these run completely under the pressure created by the engine?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:49 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I have had the Teagues' for a few years with no trouble. You do have to increase the holes in the transom to 4 1/2" to install them.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The hole is permanent but the trim ring would cover the hole if you ever went back to 4". Drilling to 4.5 was not difficult at all.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Reckless288

My personal favorites and inexpensive, are the IMCO Sound Advantage's. Not only are they economical, but you can "progressively" open or close the diverters. Makes it kinda neat to mess with a crowd at a waterside restaurant/cafe. Plus failure doesn't mean all open or closed. It runs off one actuator with a cross bar to the other side.

Corsa's are just plain over priced, but otherwise fine.

Reckless288, I have the Imco Sound Advantage on my boat. And yes, they are very cool. As you say, you can mess with the crowd a bit. Nice thing is you can open them up just a little, or a little more, or a little more.... just to hear the sweet sound of the BB. I still have the stock Merc exhaust on, with the Imco SA and Y pipe. I don't know if Imco makes an exterior switchable muffler.

I'm looking for an after market exhaust for my 502/500hp and not sure which way to go. I don't want to spend Thousands of $ on headers. So I'll likely be getting manifolds and risers. And from what I've seen out there, Revolution Marine's manifolds seem to be about as good as anyone else's. Especially for the money. They are about $950.00 for a set. {IMO the only other manifold that would give better power would be KE's}.

Anyway, I've been thinking about lightnings but I want to keep my Imco SA so I'll probably go with the Revolutions.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble or steal the thread going off subject. Been thinking about exhaust all winter....think it's driving me crazy!!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

i have the eddie marine switchable tips. i heard they make the tips for teague, and eddies are cheaper and supposedly updated with newer/better parts.

Don
Old 02-27-2004, 05:27 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by chromecat
i have the eddie marine switchable tips. i heard they make the tips for teague, and eddies are cheaper and supposedly updated with newer/better parts.

Don
And cheaper!!!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

damdonzi, those would be the Shotgun III tips....

Quick Reply: Best switchable tips...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.