Notices

Whipple

Old 04-05-2004, 07:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rockie, The boat is now at Havasu with Bernie. I had a chance to touch the new blower as it is ready to be installed. Pretty neat. The first thing he did while I was there was to pull out the ECU and UPS it to Whipple. Let the games begin!

Tom
Old 04-13-2004, 09:22 PM
Registered

I ran the Whipple at Havasu yesterday(Monday). It ran 83-85 at 4750 so the 30" is a little too large. Lavey is loaning me a 28 to try next. Mid-range on this puppy is fantastic, even with the 30". It jumped from 50 to 80 mph in a heart beat- At 80 I was turning4200-cruising speed- Amazing. It will be interesting to compare the speed/rpm's between the two props.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Registered

All right. That is the fun part.
Actually you are probably right on with the 30-prop. If you lab finish it, you will be right around 5100 rpm's. Your slip #'s are pretty good too. Assuming your tach is right you are running about 7% slip. Try the 28 and see how it does. I have tried both and the 30 is a little faster, but planing and acceleration is better with the 28. How much boost are you running?
Glad to hear it's running good.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Rock,

I'm running about 6lbs boost according to Bernie. To be honest, I didn't look at the boost gauge when I was running it. I was too stoked on the feel of the boat and the speed/rpm's. Duh! I should have taken a peek at it. I'll certainly check it next time as the first time excitement has now subsided somewhat. What a kick!
My prop guy said he could probably get another 250 RPM's out of the prop but that I should give the 28 a try, which I will. Where I run the boat, top speed really isn't as important as mid range. I'm on the Parker strip most of the time, with a visit to Havasu on occasion. No poker runs except at Lake Mead at our yearly regatta.

Tom
Old 04-15-2004, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hotlavey -

I finally got my boat back from a very well known performance shop (referred to as XYZ marine) after having a Whipplecharger installed on my 271 Formula Fastech 502MPI. I took it to them because I wanted it done right. Whipple implies that this is a weekend job which we all know is a bunch of BS for most of us. For an expert, maybe it should take say...4-5 days at most. XYZ promised me a one week turn-around. THEY HAD MY BOAT FOR 5 #*&#@*% WEEKS!!!!!!! Basically, from the time they had my boat and my cc#, I felt I was getting screwed. They did redo the heads so let's give them an extra week for that. I know they had some complications too with a leaky head gasket after the first assembly attempt. Everything seems to be running right so I guess the did it right.

Now the good part. I am still playing with propellers but even with my stock B1 26P, the acceleration is awesome! Throttle-up propellers is sending me a Hydromotive P5 26P to try (Julie at TU rocks!). Looking forward to see how much my top end has improved.

I usually have the attitude that "if you want it done right, do it yourself" but if I had to do it all over again, I would endure the frustration of 5 weeks without my boat, and numerous unreturned phone and let someone experienced do it (not necessarily XYZ). I think Whipple is an awesome system if done right the first time....or can be a total nightmare if not.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Registered

Grog,

Keep me posted on your prop testing. I'm in the middle of doing that now. It only took a week for Bernie(retired Whipple person) to do my install, complete with gauges, water and fuel bypass, etc. Ran flawlessly the first time out, I was just propped wrong.
Keep in touch.

Tom
Old 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

hotlavey: Your quoted speed and RPM numbers are almost exactly what you would expect with the prop change, but you should be able to spin the 30 a lot higher. You said 81 mph before and I would think you should be 95+mph now. If the midrange acceleration is good but you can't get past 4750 with the Bravo 30, maybe something else is holding you back. I trust that you are checking fuel pressure and plugs. Good luck, let us know!

Tom
Old 04-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Registered

Tom

Fuel pressure was right on as was water temp. I did not have my GPS on the boat when I did this first run so I am relying on the boat speedo which indicated somewhere between 83-85(bouncing). When I GPS'd at 81 prior to the Whipple I really air'd the boat out and was doing a little chine-walking and porpoising. This last run was done a little more safely and conservatively. Much more comfortable. I was told going in that the 30 may be a little tall and the 28 would be the one- I think that will be correct. We will soon find out.

Tom

If you have spare cash, you don't own a boat!
Old 04-18-2004, 01:13 PM
jgomez

Default whipple

Grog, Have got a 26p five blade labbed hydro prop for sale e-mail me at [email protected] for details

Old 05-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Registered

Tom,

Just returned from the River at Parker,Az. There was no wind, no boats, and mirror smooth water and a temp. of 80. I ran my 30" re-worked prop. GPS'd at 84 at 5000. I was hoping for more. I had 3 people in the boat, 1/4 tank of fuel, and a relatively empty ice-chest. It was still climbing, probably could have run 85. I was running with one tab down a touch to level the boat as it does torque down on the left side a little. Speedo(Gaffrig) indicated 90- boy, are those things inaccurate.
Actually, I guess the speed isn't bad for a 29' deep-v, but I will try a 28' next time out, just for fun. Mid-range is awesome, even with the 30".

Quick Reply: Whipple

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.