A list of oil filters that fit 502MAG & 496HO

Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by BillR
Fram = Crap!
too bad...Orange cans look pretty in the eninge room...
Old 10-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Not sure how they compare. I use a band wrench to remove mine and have never had one crush on me. Then again, I only hand tighten my filters using a piece of 320 grit sandpaper in my hand to get a better grip.
Bought a set of Channel Lock oil filter pliers from Summit...easiest oil/fuel filter change I have ever done.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:58 AM
Registered

Default oil filters

Check out our billet oil filter. The billet housing spins on like a regular filter. when its time for a change, the top can be removed to access a removable 8 micron, high flow cartridge or the entire filter can be spun off like a regular filter. (designed for the "upside down" filter...)
Out performs and out flows any spin on...
www.billetmarine.com

Thanks, Curtis @ Billet Marine
Old 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Here is the conclusion from a merc oil filter comparison:

Conclusion

One must read the complete pore and flow discussion before drawing any conclusions.

In that discourse, the point is made that the oil used for the oil flow tests was at room temperature. Hot oil will flow many times the rate over room temperature oil.

Yes, it appears that there are better alternatives to the Mercruiser oil filter in this application.

While the pore and flow tests were very accurate, there are certainly imperfections in the rating system. Filters within two or three places of each other should be considered and their raw data scores evaluated. This data is described in detail in the pore and flow discussion.

Not surprisingly, filtering ability relates inversely to flow. However, many filters with high filtering ability compensate by having higher filter area.

For example, the Baldwin rates as 9 of 12 in pore size but 6-7 of 12 regarding flow. It also has the most filter area of all filters in this study. The Baldwin, AC Delco, and WIX 51060 all appear to be a good compromise between pore size and flow.

If one is interested in flow for this application, the K&N provides the best flow with better filtration than the Mercruiser filter.

If one is considering the small canister size because of physical room in the engine compartment, the Mercruiser and WIX 51086 have about the same filter area. The WIX has a larger intake area, silicon ADBV, and a sturdy spring to keep everything together. The WIX filter media is much better, but the Mercruiser flows better – among the top three in this study even though it has less media than all.

The PureOne filter has the best filtering ability of all compared filters; however, it has the second worst flow ratings. One would have to ask, “would the PureOne flow enough in this application when the manufacturers filter is specified to flow many times more?” That is the danger of using an oil filter that is not specifically mapped to your application.

In a direct mapped application such as an auto oil filter, the PureOne, AC Delco, Baldwin, and WIX would appear to be good choices (provided their media is similar in different applications). One would have to feel comfortable with the Fram cardboard end construction of the EG and TG series and low filter media area to choose them over these four filters.

In this application, a good compromise would be to use a full flowing larger sized filter such as the Mercruiser, K&N, Hastings, SuperTech, or STP and add a by-pass filter such as an Oilguard, Amsoil, or Motor Guard.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:11 AM
jj1
Registered

any one tell me what oil i should use for stock 502s boat is a1999 fountain.and what filters. thanks,