Engine submerged in water? >

Engine submerged in water?

Notices

Engine submerged in water?

Old 03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine submerged in water?

I'm looking at a boat that flipped over and the engine was submerged in fresh water and has had water in the engine for 4 months. Is the engine salvageable? The hull and interior still looks good, is there anything else to be concerned about?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:07 AM
Registered

4 months! It's toast.
If they didn't take care to pickle the engine they probably didn't do much to the rest of the boat. Expect ALL electrical will need replacing. The hydraulics and drive may have water in them too. Also check the stringers, transom, floor for rot.
Gary
Old 03-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Registered

Would the fuel injection be toast or just the internals, would it be cheaper to buy a new 496HO or rebuild this one assumeing the labor is free? It also has a procharger, any chance it is OK?
Old 03-09-2004, 10:48 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The electronics and the engine accessories (starter, alternater,ect.) are all shot.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

RUN, FORREST, RUN !!!!

Trim motors guages, wiring....THe list goes on & on....
Old 03-09-2004, 05:46 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

If you are to seriously attempt this project, in my opinion, the best course of action for you would be to look for a complete bobtail motor. That will fix the motor, but I don't know where to begin about the rest of the boat. You could be in for a world of trouble.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:06 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

the wiring will be shot and rewiring a boat is a pain in the ass. Not very difficult just a major hassle.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe it or not, I did the deal like this on Fred's Sonic. Other than new starters, alternators, rebuild engines most everything else you can buy used or rebuild. Trim pumps & trim cylinders, k-plane pumps & rams are rebuildable with Merc kits... easy to do. But everything must be flushed very well. Look on ebay for wiring harnessess. I just bought two 20' Merc engine cables for $50.00 each ( cost over $300.00 each). Solenoids u can used Ford units. Just like the Merc and only $6.00.

It does as Puder said, take a long time. I have taken a year to do mine, but could only work weekends & vacations. It's gotta be a labor of love.... and a hell of a good price to boot!!
Good luck.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Alt, starter, trim pumps will all need to go to rebuild shop.

Throw the longblock away, the distributor (if it has one) away, the fuel pump away.

The fuel pickups may be corroded in the tanks.
The injector rail will be okay but plan on tossing the injectors.

The ECU is a goner.

PS pump may be salvageable.

Gauges gone.

it better be a free boat.

I've sunk several. The main main mainest thing is to immediately change fluids and get them running as soon as they come back up. Amazingly, a boat is better off to spend a few extra hours underwater, than it is to come up and sit those same few hours.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:34 PM
merlin540

i sank a 27 eliminator daytona w/blower motors and it was down for 2 days. we got it out and pickled those engines and they ran great. i just freshened them last year and put them in my 32 skater and i would say they run better after they were in the ohio river for 2 days

Quick Reply: Engine submerged in water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.