Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld >

Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

Notices

Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

Old 03-10-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Troutly
Gary....I take it you are looking to secure that blender a bit better to the boat
Nope, need a tranny crossmember to put a 5 or 6 speed in the vette. And about a dozen other small projects.
Gary
Old 03-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Please, please find the time to take a welding course. I've seen too many people try to learn it themselves and wind up making a mess of the job and putting innocent people in danger. I don't know how many times I've seen welds that look perfect on the surface but have little or no penetration. Only an experienced welder will know the difference.
Take a course, learn how to do it right and practice, practice, practice.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a 110 arc welder for fixing the dock at the lake (thats all the electric i have on the dock) while i wouldnt want to weld all day with it cycle duty it has yet to fail welding 1/8-1/4 inch angle. I have also used a 110 mig to weld the dock up but takes longer. 220 units are ideal but not portable, tig would be my pick for aluminum or stainless.

practice and practice

later
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Iggy
Gary,
Please, please find the time to take a welding course. I've seen too many people try to learn it themselves and wind up making a mess of the job and putting innocent people in danger. I don't know how many times I've seen welds that look perfect on the surface but have little or no penetration. Only an experienced welder will know the difference.
Take a course, learn how to do it right and practice, practice, practice.
Excellent advice. I taught welding classes at Kankakee Community College for several years. If you don`t want to make the commitment to learn how to weld properly then I would advise you to steer clear of it altogether. I have plenty of horror storys that involved people that did`nt. Some of them involving death and lawsuits!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, I bought a Hobart 175 that runs on 220. Fabricated a heated cab for my 4wd 50hp tractor. Fabbed sliding lift arms {1/2 and 3/4 in. steel} that carry a 7 foot 3 point hitch snow blower in the winter. They also carry a 3 bottom plow and a set of 8 foot disks and 12 foot drags for the garden. And an occasional 6 foot 3 point roto tiller. Did the cab and lift arms 2 years ago and have used it hard at times. Never a weld failure. Also frame work for a PA snow plow for the tractor. Never a failure.

I bought a book recommended by a neighbor who is a welder. The book "Modern Welding" gives in depth info about numerous types and methods of welding. And also explains the many different types of welders and their applications. But.....would I weld something for myself, or someone else where life or limb would be an issue?? Absolutely not!!

I think Hobart is made by Miller or Lincoln, can't remember. But I'd say go ahead and get one. I end up using mine often.

Like Iggy said, take a course. You mention putting a crossover in your vette for the tranny. No way I would do anything structural like that with out at least taking some type of welding course. No way. That's a job for a pro.

Good luck !!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Registered

Gotta agree with the "Modern Welding" book.

If you are going to mig weld aluminum, use the 5356 Alloy wire. It's stronger and it feeds better.

DS
Old 03-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Team Reyco
If you get a MIG, get one that runs on 220V. If you want to do much with aluminum, I'd recommend a TIG machine, but they are more expensive that a MIG.

I'd recommend HP Books Metal Fabricators Handbook, and Weldor's Handbook.

I've been welding for nearly 20 years (racecars, etc.) and both were helpful to me early on.

-Steve
Picked up Welders Handbook last night.
Also talked to my friends that are welders. They all said the same thing. Take a class or call them over to help out.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Gary