Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld >

Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

Notices

Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

Old 03-09-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

I would like to get a MIG welder to do some simple aluminum, stainless, and steel welding. Can anyone reccomend a book, or even better a video, on how to weld? Just the basic stuff.
Gary
Old 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Registered

Tough to learn how from a book. Aluminum doesn't weld very well with a mig welder. Pulsed arc is best for aluminum wire, or TIG. Stainless would work, tho, with proper gas, but TIG is also better for it. Don't buy a cheap little mig welder, as the duty cycle is too low.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered

If you get a MIG, get one that runs on 220V. If you want to do much with aluminum, I'd recommend a TIG machine, but they are more expensive that a MIG.

I'd recommend HP Books Metal Fabricators Handbook, and Weldor's Handbook.

I've been welding for nearly 20 years (racecars, etc.) and both were helpful to me early on.

-Steve
Old 03-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum is not so easy for the occasional welder. It requires much more accurate hand dexterity than the other metals. Everytime I have to weld aluminum (maybe once a year a best) I have to practice with scrap for a while to get back in the groove so to speak. Personally, Mig is Ok for production welding but for non-production welding I prefer stick (arc) or TIG.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:43 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

MUCH EASIER TO LOOK IN YELLOW PAGES AND FIND A WELDER THAT CAN DO THE JOB. SPEND YOUR EXTRA TIME BOATING.
Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Registered

In order to weld aluminum with a mig gun you will need a spool gun as the push type spool mounted on the welder will foul constantly. A spool gun pulls the wire from a smaller spool mounted on the handle.
Good luck
Old 03-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Stick with a brand name unit. Miller is really good. Lincoln is OK. Run from the foreign crap. Try to get a 220v one. The 110v models, while nice and portable are too small to be serious. While, they will weld 10g, it'll take a day and forever and you'll have poor penetration. A 220v 250amp mig welder is a very serious unit. It'll weld 1/4" all day and then some. The best way to learn is to take a course at the local tech school. It's really easy to lay a bead that looks great but has no strength.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally posted by Cord
It's really easy to lay a bead that looks great but has no strength.
hehe, well, I wasnt gonna be the one to say it, but I equate a mig welder to a caulking gun. Seriously, it all depends on what you want to do, small and pretty-TIG. big and strong-ARC.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:44 AM
MKast

Try looking for a local tech college. In one semester, one or two nights a week, you'll be very pleased with your results. Instructor can steer you in the right direction concerning a welder for home use.

Old 03-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Registered

Originally posted by WILDTHING TAZ
MUCH EASIER TO LOOK IN YELLOW PAGES AND FIND A WELDER THAT CAN DO THE JOB. SPEND YOUR EXTRA TIME BOATING.
Maybe I'll just buy the welder and have my friends come over and do the actual welding. Too many of my jobs require welding onsite (in the boat, under the car, etc) so I would like to have one available.
I just dont see me having enough time to take a course at a tech school.
Already planned on a 220 for the higher duty cycle. I'll look into the TIGs.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone reccomend a book on how to weld

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.