Size & pitch questions??? >

Size & pitch questions???

Notices

Size & pitch questions???

Old 03-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Size & pitch questions???

I have a 320 Velocity with twin OMC 225 Outboard V-6 motors. I bought the boat just last July and it is a 1987 model but completly rebuilt in 2001. My question is that i have currently 3-blade stainless props and can push the motors to 6000 rpm trimmed out (both motors and tabs) and running. Should i be running more agressive props??? Larger, more blades, etc. to give me more thrust and lower the top end RPM's??? I run about 58mph full of fuel. I know that isnt fast in today's boat world, but this is my first venture into the powerboat market. any helpp would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]
Old 03-10-2004, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you are pretty close. Those motors are rated to run between 5500 and 6000. You are at the high end of the rpm range.

It depends on what you want to do with the boat. If you plan on going off-shore fishing you may want a little more pitch to bring the rpm down at wide open throttle and increase your cruise speed. If you just play with the boat and want to get the best hole shot and acceleration then the props you have now are about the right pitch.

If you want a little more on the top end that may be possible depending on what props you have now.

Matt