Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Outboards and STP, Carbuerator cleaner & octane booster. >

Outboards and STP, Carbuerator cleaner & octane booster.

Notices

Outboards and STP, Carbuerator cleaner & octane booster.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Outboards and STP, Carbuerator cleaner & octane booster.

I recently bought STP fuel treatment and carbuerator cleaner to mix with the 175 gallons of fuel in my velocity with twin outboards to try to get any extra advantage i could by cleaning these older motors. Then i realized that i wasnt sure whether or not you could use these products in a 2-stroke motor with gas/oil mix. Does anyone know the answer to this question? Any knowledable answer would be appreciated. Thanks,

[email protected]
Old 03-09-2004, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Won't hurt it, but a far better choice would be to pul the carbs and pull the bowls and clean them the old fashioned way. Then buy a pair of headgaskets and pull the heads and use a stiff toothbrush and carb cleaner to clean the crowns and heads. Put each piston on TDC and clean it, then squirt 2 cycle oil in the hole when you go to the next one. Work from the top pistons down and tape over the clean ones so the toothbrush doesnt sling anything in the clean holes.

Most O/Bs running good oil and on fast boats seem to have pretty clean innards, even when they sit up for a bit.

As far as advantage, those eggbeaters run just as well dirty as they do clean, as long as the carbs are metering properly.