Trs gimbal ringswivel pin?

Notices

Trs gimbal ringswivel pin?

Old 03-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trs gimbal ringswivel pin?

see pic attached. ...

this is the top of the drive there is alot of play I can lift drive up and down maybe 1/4 of a inch to 1/2 inch.
Is this very har dto fix and alot of work ? if so what are the specifics on doing this?? has anyone had this problem and how did you fix?
any help appreciated thanks brad
Attached Thumbnails Trs gimbal ringswivel pin?-p3100105.jpg  
Old 03-11-2004, 10:52 AM
rws
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad,
I see you are a Toledoan also.I also have TRS Stuff and if it looks like you have the Old style " Splined" Gimble ring.
If the Gimble ring is not worn where the steering shaft goes,then up and down play could be addressed with the addition of a new thrust washer .I redid the Gimble on my Cigarette about 10 years ago and shimmed the up and down play and it is now loose again, but like I said ten years is a long time.I may be able to help you.

Rob
Old 03-11-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The up/down play of the gimbal ring is controlled by a nut on top of the steering lever. That lever is also crossbolted to hold it in place. There should only be about 1/16"-1/8" clearance. The question is where the play came from. First check to see if the nut above the steering arm came loose allowing the pin and ring to slide down. You may be able to see this through the arm cutout in the transom.
If it's due to worn/damaged upper swivel pin bearing, you have to remove the ring. Similar to bravos, they make an access hole kit so you dont have to remove the whole gimbal.
Now the bad news; The upper swivel pin was made in several spined or square designs. If you dont have a U bolt on the ring, you have a splined lower end of the upper pin and you may have trouble getting it apart.
Remove the drive.
Remove the bell housing and bellows.
Remove the allen head bolt on the top of the ring to the side of the pin.
Remove the cotter pin holding the lower swivel pin.
Knock out the lower pin.
Remove the allen head plug in the bottom of the upper pin.
Remove the upper pin steering arm nut, side bolt through the arm, and pry the arm loose on the splined or square pin.
Use a long slide hammer through the lower swivel pin hole, inserted partially into the upper swivel pin plug hole. Note, the plug in this hole speads the pin tightly in the ring. Dont tighten the slide hammer too much. Start hammering away to pull the upper swivel pin out.
If it's a splined one, it may be lodged in the ring. If so, use a hacksaw yo cut the lower of the 2 lower swivel pin mounts on the gimbal (no kidding). This will allow the pin and ring to be removed together. A press can then be used to remove the upper pin. And have the lower pin mount welded back in place by using the lower pin to locate it.
A socket can be used to knock out the upper pin bearing and seals.
Buy all new seals/bearings and bellows and reassemble.
Gary