Rich at startup >

Rich at startup

Notices

Rich at startup

Old 03-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rich at startup

Changed the plugs last weekend and thought this might help cure it, but it didn't.

boat smokes black at startup and is very rich....after warming for a few minutes she'll straighten out and run fine. This is the choke I'm pretty sure but I'm not too sure of how to adjust it. This is a carbed 454 mag....any suggestions?
Old 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Take the choke system away.
You don't need it
You don't boating when it's snowing, right?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered

correct...boat came from Canada, they sure needed it What exactly do I take off?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

QJet or Weber? Leaking screws on bottom of QJet? Have you observed the choke plate at various temps? Usually you can just bend the arm which activates the spring to lean the choke out some.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered

If it is a qjet, there is a little vacuum canister mounted to the front of the carb. One of the jobs of this unit i choke pulloff. Choke pulloff keeps the chock plate open about 1/8" when cold to keep the engine from loading up. Check to make sure the vacuum hose that goes to it is in place and has no holes or cracks.

BT
Old 03-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Registered

It's a Weber.......I've checked all the lines to it. I just wish I knew how to adjust it or take the junk off...it loads up bad at startup.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

bump bump
Old 03-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered

Is it the black plastic hockey puck looking thing on the side, or is it the rod connected to the spring on the intake manifold type?
Also check the idle screws. They're generally OK at 2 turns out, but you're better off using the tuning procedure.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_sect2.html#idle
Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

Here is what I would do. When engine in cold, remove the flame arrestor. Start the engine and look at the choke plate. It should be open between and 1/8th and 1/4". Sounds like it is not open that amount and therefore it ins't getting any air. If that is the case, open it with your finger until it runs good. Should be about 1/4" open and more so as it warms. If that is it you will need to find the choke pulloff device and figure out why it is not working properly. I'm not sure on a weber what to look for. That is my guess. If it won't stay running til lyou get back there, stick a screwdriver down the choke to hold it open.

BT
Old 03-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Registered

Ok I'll try that.....haven't done that yet. I'll also take a few pics of it so maybe that'll help more. She runs awesome when warmed up...its just the initial startup process....I know I'll have to deal with 5 mins of running like caca and black smoke.

Quick Reply: Rich at startup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.