Dino vs Synthetic >

Dino vs Synthetic

Notices

Dino vs Synthetic

Old 03-23-2004, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MESA BALANCING
A CAR DOES NOT GET THE OIL TEMP NEAR AS HOT AS A MARINE ENGINE.HOPES THIS HELPS EVERYONE OUT LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM
What sythetic oil does do is give a greater margin of safety regarding thermal breakdown. That is, when somethig goes wrong in an engine ie. impeller chunk in cooler, clogged oil filter, bad gas causing detonation.... synthetic will hold up longer under higher temps. 270F one time and dino oil is done, and so is the nice surface finish on that crank. Synthetics can cycle up into the 270+ range and not rapidly breakdown. Get to 290F or so and sythetics are gone too. So to me, sythetics add a cheap margin of safety for when things are not right. When things are right I agree that either will do. Unfortuantely I have repeatedly tested this theory over the last several years and found it to be quite accurate. Good thread kidnova! It's impossible to get to many opinions on this subject

BT
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree BT, the more opinions the better. And it's great when builders like Mesa give their opinion.

I did a search and afterword's realized {as Whiteknuckle says} the subject has been beat to death. But, you know how us newbies are...gotta keep asking those questions

Ok, guess we can let this thread die a peaceful death.
{unless someone has something else to add }