Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Correct procedure.......... >

Correct procedure..........

Notices

Correct procedure..........

Old 02-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Kentz

Post Correct procedure..........

for setting my K-Planes neutral and marking my indicators. Having a notched transom, do I:

using a straight edge parallel to the planes, lower the planes till they just touch and mark my indicators, or

using a straight edge parallel to the planes, lower the planes until I have the same dimension at the front and rear of the planes and then mark?

or?

Thanks,guys

Old 02-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Kentz, normally you put the straight edge on the bottom of the boat extending past the tabs. When the rear most part of the tab is about a 1/4" above the straight edge, that should be neutral or #3 on your indiacator.Not sure if step hull is any different or not.Good luck, Charles
Old 02-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Kentz

Thanks, so 1/4" at the rear versus just touching! got it.

ps. Congrats on your run last weekend. I think I saw your Gils in our shop with Todd.

Old 02-02-2002, 07:38 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
more important is just to make sure that they are the same on both sides.

Jon
Old 02-03-2002, 03:19 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have to disagree with Charles, he is correct if the planes are mounted 1/4" up from the bottom then you would want 1/4" at the back end. The planes should be parrallel to the bottom of the boat for a neutral setting. The way you stated it you want the same dimension at the front and rear of the plane.
Caleb
Old 02-03-2002, 08:04 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was told by PQ that they are to be parallel. Let me know where that is on YOUR gauge.
Mine BY eyeball only is ALMOST 4.

Did ya lab your props yet?

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 02-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Kentz

"4", man that's half the scale I'll need to run over to storage and check it out. I was thinking equal dimension, or as close as I could get it, would be about right.

Thanks

Yeah, I was going to buy KAAMA's but somebody beat me to it. I have brand new ones coming in from John York next week

Old 02-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Registered

I should have clarified, mine are mounted up from the bottom about 7/8".Does that mean that the tip should be 7/8" above the straight edge, seems like it would take some time before they touched the water? Just trying to picture it.
BTW,Todd did a heck of a job on my manifolds,thanks.

[ 02-03-2002: Message edited by: 27 FOUNTAIN ]
Old 02-06-2002, 12:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Charles,
Yes that's right, if they are 7/8" up from the straight edge at the transom then neutral will be with 7/8" at the end.

The water will raise up to meet them in answer to the second part.

If they are 7/8" up at the transom and only 1/4" up at the tip that will cause them to lift the transom which will hold the bow down.

You can think about it like putting your hand out the window of the car in the wind, for there to be no vertical pressure your hand must be level, as soon as you angle your hand up or down the wind will force it up or down.

Hope this helps,
Caleb
Old 02-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Kentz, did Tommy at WPM take care of you? He's got a wealth of info when experimenting with different props especially when comparing them to York's...and as I told you, Tommy really likes the way York does the labbing...me too!

Quick Reply: Correct procedure..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.