Carburated 502 Mags

Notices

Carburated 502 Mags

Old 03-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 451 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Carburated 502 Mags

Question..
502 Mags w/Quadrajet carbs. Looks as though there is some sort of adapter/spacer under the carb. I have not had them off yet. What kind of plate is under the carb? Is this a square bore intake with a spead bore carb? Is this a spread bore intake with a heat spacer? Any ideas?
If this is a square bore intake, would there be any advange/improvements in performance by switching the carbs to Edelbrock Marine Performers? These are stock never been apart motors. I know the next year they switched to the Weber carbs and I think they upped the HP rating.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Charter Member #737
Charter Member

Received 73 Likes on 41 Posts

Same thing they do on the 454 mag motors. It is just a spacer. Suppose to give you a few more hps.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I HAVE A CUSTOMER WITH A SONIC THAT HAD TWO MERCS WITH THE SAME CARBS . THEY STARTED ACTING UP AND A LOCAL MARINE SUP PLACE SOLD HIM A PAIR OF WEBERS FOR THE UPGRADE. HE STARTED HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE NEW WEBERS RIGHT AWAY. HE CAME TO ME AND ASKED IF I HAD EVER RAN THE WEBERS OR EVER HAD PROBLEMS AND I TOLD HIM NO TO BOTH . I TOLD HIM THE ONLY CARBS I RUN ON MARINE ENGINES OF THIS TYPE IS THE HOLLEY 9022 LIST NUMBER. HE BOUGHT TWO OF THEM FROM ME AND ASKED IF I WOULD HELP TUNE THEM FOR HIM. I WENT TO THE DOCK THE FIRST TIME HE INSTALLED THEM AND I SET THE IDLE MIXTURE SET THE FLOAT HEIGHTS AND IDLE SPEED. NO JET CAHNGES OR ANY OTHER CALIBRATIONS. THEY BEEN IN THE BOAT FOR TWO YEARS AND HE HAS NOT HAD TO TOUCH THEM. I HOPE THIS WILL HELP YOU IN YOUR APPLICATION . IF YOU HAVE ANY TECH QUESTIONS OR NEED ANY HELP DON'T HESITATE TO CALL.LAZ MESA WWW.MESABALANCING.COM