Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Adding Third Engine (lower HP) for docking / idle / etc. >

Adding Third Engine (lower HP) for docking / idle / etc.

Notices

Adding Third Engine (lower HP) for docking / idle / etc.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I could see that being a problem (props falling off during a turn). I'll look into that silent exaust - if I do a project it'd be easier to adapt one of those systems to work with my dry exaust then mess with any other systems.

Still am not keen on messing with the 24V, but I guess I could to it if absolutely necessary. re: the engine - thanks for the information on installing one. I would look (and hope to find) a smaller size one with water cooling already, but that is nowhere near first priority. First, I need to install the closed-cooling, then Sient Exaust or maybe the drop-down trollers

I WOULD prefer an alternate engine system, but I am not going to go with outboards. I'm at work right now, so I can't go to all of those sites or talk more.

Thanks for all the feedback,
Paul Rohrbaugh
Old 03-24-2004, 10:13 AM
ursus

Just to give you the other parameters. I used 55 lb thrust motors and with both running the boat would go a little faster than with the main engine at idle so probably 4-6 mph,,, but,,, in no wind and smooth water, in 15kt wind was probably all they could do to hold it in place. There is a comercial unit which mounts to the outdrive above the cavitation plate for trolling and as I said on the tabs just doesn't work, trim was not affected they just kept breaking props

Old 03-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.
Does anyone have any experience with the cav plate models ? Do they cause / have any problems of their own - I would think they could cause some extra drag at low to moderate speed as they'd be in the water stream. I know a picture of one was included in a previous post - but there was no information given as to how well they works.

I'll check into the silent exaust when I get home - I'll have to give this some thought as to which route I go - heck, I may do both in the long run - they both seem to have their usages.

Thanks to everyone for their input,
~Paulr