trim tab mounting

Notices

trim tab mounting

Old 03-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 296 Likes on 103 Posts
Default trim tab mounting

hey guys. i was just wondering about the way i have seen some of the tabs mounted. this is a pic that donzilla put up on another thread (his boat i believe) and i notice the tabs are flat horizontal. does it help the reaction of the tab and what are the most noticeable different driving characteristics over standard mounting? just curious really, thanks all
Attached Thumbnails trim tab mounting-hpim0144.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard it helps decrease chine walk,, if they are mounted in line w/ the angle they will chine walk with the boat,,, I believe fountain is mounting them this way from the factory..
Old 03-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Team Dysfunctional
Charter Member

I have never seen them mounted like that before.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

I have seen them mounted this way on other hulls but not this style, and never yet as a factory installation from Fountain. (Although they may be doing this and I just haven't been in the right place at the right time) I do have that particular hull style and no chinewalk with conventionally mounted tabs and get over 80 on a good day. BUT, now I too am curious. Anyone know for sure or is this just a "trial/error" thing? --- Jer
Old 03-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Registered

I'm 100% sure it was to help decrease chine walk..
Old 03-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

I believe that it also help counter act the thrust of the tabs being lowered unevenly. Of course, if you are tabbing to make a corner, you could take advantage of the directional thrust.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

"I'm 100% sure it was to help decrease chine walk.."

Chris232, care to back that statement up ? I am redoing my transom with an extention box, give me some reasons ?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally posted by dlbCheckmate
"I'm 100% sure it was to help decrease chine walk.."

Chris232, care to back that statement up ? I am redoing my transom with an extention box, give me some reasons ?
There was a post about this topic a few months back, and I even remember sombody saying this was the way Fountain was mounting them from the factory.

Makes sense,,, if the tabs are on the angle of the transom and it chine walks then the tabs will also just chine walk, if they are mounted straight accross then they add an added dimension to the transom angle.. just what I heard...
Old 03-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Registered

Yes, I recall that several Fountains were pictured with the tabs mounted flat as this one that is in the photo. BUT..... I did not recall any clear reasoning for doing it that way. On one hand I think that the tabs mounted flat would help stablize the chine walking senerio, but what would it do for you when you are crusing or leveling out a load ? I think for all out racing they would work well this way, but what about the middle of the road. My arms get sore from the beating I take running flat out... if you know what I mean. (from the wife, not the boat)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Registered

There you go now! Maybe the horizontal mounting is the race trick. I'll stick to the Merc. preferred mounting for my "all-round" boating at 80 and below. --- Jer

Quick Reply: trim tab mounting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.