Whipple Charger for a Fountain >

Whipple Charger for a Fountain

Notices

Whipple Charger for a Fountain

Old 06-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whipple Charger for a Fountain

It would appear that I should have listened to the folks here. I lost a head gasket after the Whipple install and hydraulic'd the engine. I had 5 hours run time on the blower before the s--- hit the fan. Not sure if anything was bent yet. Valves look OK, hope the rods are too.
If you are considering a blower, do the head gaskets and the valves- cheap insurance compaired to what it costs if you don't.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear that hotlavey. What head gaskets have you been told to run? I hear Cometic but have no experience with them. What boost level are you running?

INDY27:

This is what the supercooler looks like for the 502 mag efi (the black engine). This particular engine had already been upped to 500 HP with the HP500EFI cam and CMI headers. I don't have performance figures yet, but will post them on my other thread "Rtech Supercharger on 502 MPI"
Attached Thumbnails Whipple Charger for a Fountain-complete-top-iso-blue.jpg  
Old 06-22-2004, 10:41 AM
Scott McKay

Hotlavey,

I have been a Pro Mud Racer for years, but the boating thing is relatively new to me. I do know that many of the engine modifications and problems are the same for both sports, so buy new rods and pistons! If they aren't broken yet they will be! Besides, the rods and pistons in your motor were not designed to work with a blower, and you thought the head gaskets would have been good insurance, buying quality rods and pistons will save you big in the long run! You could always have the rods x-rayed but why, beef them up. The pistons in your engine, I believe are cast, you need good forged pistons on a high performance engine, boost or no boost. There are many additional things you will need to do such as balancing the crank, etc. but it will be worth the effort.

SM

Old 06-22-2004, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine is a HP500EFI. It has all the good stuff on the bottom; crank, rods, pistons, etc. The folks that have the engine- Extreme Custom Marine - are doing the work. They said Fel-Pro gaskets are the best for my application. As for boost, I run 6 lbs, which is normal. They also mentioned Cometic but felt it was overkill for my app.